JJ Ocean's 420g Reef

Oz;970514 wrote: Update JJ?

Update below ... sounds like you might need a build post/update???

I don’t have any new pics, but below is a recent video I took with my iPhone. The fish are pacing a little because it was getting close to feeding time and I was standing near the glass (they are worse than my dogs about food).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZaADlKG54">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZaADlKG54</a>

I did make a change in the fish room since my last post. I removed my (3) 30 cubes that were on the top shelf and replaced them with a 60”L x 20”W x 12”H frag tank.

This has not all been w/o challenges though. I have been going through an issue over the last couple of weeks with some of my acros. Getting some bleaching on the tips – not all, but some. I suspected a low Alk in advance of testing since my tank seems to run on the low end sometimes. However, it tested in the range. I’m kind of at a loss given my parameters:

Ph 8.18
Salinity 1.024
Alkalinity 8.624 dKH
Calcium 380
Magnesium 1200
Phosphates 0.05 ppm
Nitrates 0.00-1.00 ppm
Temp 78.5 (always controlled within 78-79 – no swings)

PO4 a little higher than I want. CA and Mag a little lower than I want. However, I don’t think any of those parms are that far off to result in any bleaching. The only “other“ items that might be suspect or at least different in the last couple months are my MH bulbs are 13 months old, UV bulbs 12 months old and Ozone hasn’t been running much because ORP has been in the 420-430 range (personally I think probe is reading high). I’m also still battling some dinos, but they seem to be diminishing a little – toxins always a concern from them.

Changes I made this last week to try to resolve issue:

• Drained additional 120g tank and 60g frag tank to reduce total water volume down by 25%, so a water change would make a bigger impact
• Executed a 23% water change (150G) on system (Salinity brand). Plan to do 22% again in a week. Moved salinity back up to 1.025 now.
• Changed MH bulbs and I will change UV bulbs on Friday
• Changed out all RO components including membrane. TDS was reading 0.04 leaving membrane & 0.01 leaving DI. Again, not high, but still changed out
• Dosed some Mag, Iodine, Amino acids & Reef Buffer
• Added Poly filter last night in case I have some unknown heavy metal build up
• Put in fresh carbon and GFO. Will change out again in 3 weeks

Too early to see any impacts. I’m going to re-test all parms again tonight.

Looking good JJ. Strange some acros aren't happy as the params look good to me and older lamps yield more algae (color shift) vs. burnt tips IMO.

As you know, be careful doing so much all at the same time. That is a lot in 1 week even with a larger water volume.

Back