JJ Ocean's 420g Reef

jj ocean

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Figured I'd start documenting my new build ...</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Back in the fall I decided to finally upgrade my primary DT (120g). We did a minor remodel in the basement and in the process removed a behemoth of an old school TV that was in a build-in surrounded by some cabinets. That left a huge void and it just so happened to back up against the utility room that served dual roles as my fish room. It didn&#8217;t take long for me to figure out what to do with the space.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I looked and talked to multiple tank manufacturers across the country and ended up going with AGE (Acrylic & Glass Exhibits) down in Texas. They specialize in some very unique hybrid tanks and do top notch work. Since I was going into somewhat of a predefined space, the length was really the only constraint I used in the design. I finalized the tank at 420g, 75&#8221;L x 36&#8221;D x 36&#8221;T, 3-sides 3/4&#8221; starfire, PVC bottom, 75" coast-to-coast weir with an adjustable water level bar and external 3/4" black acrylic overflow box. </span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">The tank ended up being taller than I originally envisioned, but based on it sitting at the end of a long room we wanted to maximize the glass that you see. That obviously up'd the lighting requirements and complicated placement/maint. It ultimately will become all &#8220;wrapped&#8221; into the existing build-in. It will also project out into the room from the build-in and will be viewable from 3 sides. Only the back 10&#8221; on the sides will be covered by cabinetry. The back will be completely open from the fish room. It will be a reef tank &#8211; mainly dominated by SPS and numerous tangs.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I also spec&#8217;d a new sump to go underneath it (48"L x 24"W x 20"T), but the new tank and sump will tie into all my existing systems &#8230; 150g sump/refugium, 50g sump, (2) 120g tanks and (5) 30g cubes. Eventually, one of the 120&#8217;s will come out once all the coral and fish are transferred, but the remainder of my tanks will stay for added water volume, frags and QT (setup to be disconnected when serving in that function).</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Below are some pics of the core demo and construction that has been done to date. I&#8217;ve been working on it in bits and pieces. As with many projects, the scope has expanded some over time.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">The starting point, just hours before the saw hit drywall (October)</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">
NewTankLocation-Day1_zps3fe47f8c.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Center build-in ... cut out. Now the utility/fish room is fully exposed. </span>
NewTankLocation-Demo_zpsd06ae271.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Removed the hot water heater and the new sump arrived.</span>
NewTankLocation-DemominusHWHsump_zps0cf990e7.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Put the new stand in place ... 2" powder coated steel w/ leveling feet</span>
NewTankLocation-stand45_zps2598ba3c.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Drain lines from 150g sump and 50g sump to the new sump (3" and 1.5"). They had to go across the walking path of people and dogs, so I dropped them (the first item on scope creep list). The new sump will be the repository (lowest body of water) with standpipes in the other 2 sumps. Built to hold 40g of "power off" water.</span>
DrainLines-Demo_zpsc91d875f.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Poured a concrete form on the inside and covered the top with diamond plate bracket in case I need to change pipes or alter config. Didn't want to jack hammer inside the house ever again! </span>
DrainLines-Finished_zps2ba16f3d.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I&#8217;ll add to the thread over time &#8230; the construction, tank, equipment, livestock, etc. Most everything, even including the livestock, is for the most part already onsite. It is mostly just carving out time at this point.</span>

Looking good man, I am surprised you dont have the tank already. You know I am eagerly waiting to help with the plumbing and all the cool stuff, so that when I am ready I have a great idea.

Islandreef;845658 wrote: Looking good man, I am surprised you dont have the tank already. You know I am eagerly waiting to help with the plumbing and all the cool stuff, so that when I am ready I have a great idea.

It actually made it in my garage last night around 9pm ... what a LONG wait. I haven't even got a good look at the whole tank, I just popped the lid to make sure there really was an aquarium inside there. I'll get some more photos up of it tonight or tomorrow with the top of the crate off. Moving it down to the stand tomorrow afternoon and I want to keep it in the crate for as much of that journey as possible.

Help with the "cool stuff" ... me passing 50lb chunks of wet live rock over the top of the tank to you sounds cool, right? On a serious note, I have to get more of the cabinet and canopy walls built out before I do the bulk of the plumbing. We were waiting for the tank to be on the stand first, so the trim work would be nice and tight. Just getting little things done here and there right now, but don't worry - I'll be calling you!

Tank-Crateinsidegarage_zps03e1b19b.jpg
alt="" />

Man what a nice set up this is going to be. If you need a hand I am only about 20 minutes east of you bi would be happy to help if you need anything. Or just watch and hand you a cold one now and then. Hehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys - thanks all for the comments and offers to help.

Well, it finally made it down to the stand this afternoon ... short trip, but time consuming journey. The boys from Creation (Mark, Matt, Justin & Taylor) and a vault lifting dolly got it done. Dolly did most of the work though.

Here it is in place and leveled.
IMG_0524_zps810b411e.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a shot from the corner. You can see inside the book shelf the cut out where 1 of the side MP40's will go. A false removable panel will be placed inside the shelf to completely hide it when complete. There will also be a matching MP40 on the other side and 3 MP40's on the back (5 total). You can also see the black vinyl extending out on the side. It will be trimmed back right before the last trim piece goes on.
IMG_0523_zps25a6d304.jpg
alt="" />

Front shot, over the top.
IMG_0526_zpsa5612d85.jpg
alt="" />

Back shot, over the top.
IMG_0527_zps0a599398.jpg
alt="" />

Wouldn't be complete if the kid didn't jump in!
IMG_0521_zps1f559b07.jpg
alt="" />

That's over the top alright!!!!! Oh you meant the picture was taken from over the top. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice John. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Didn't get too much else done this weekend. I'm starting to fill the tank to transfer over a bunch of the live rock I have circulating in a 150g stock tank. It is the bulk base rock bonded to form the major foundations for the aquascape. I've got about 180 gallons of saltwater in the tank now.

tbryan;845973 wrote: How will you ever reach the bottom of that thing

I will definitely need a stool. It also helps being 6'4" with a decent wingspan. I'm sure it will still be challenging for certain things though.

Ooooo Why cant i see the pictures anymore? I havd to see them noooooo lol

Edit:
JJ Ocean;845689 wrote: It actually made it in my garage last night around 9pm ... what a LONG wait. I haven't even got a good look at the whole tank, I just popped the lid to make sure there really was an aquarium inside there. I'll get some more photos up of it tonight or tomorrow with the top of the crate off. Moving it down to the stand tomorrow afternoon and I want to keep it in the crate for as much of that journey as possible.

Help with the "cool stuff" ... me passing 50lb chunks of wet live rock over the top of the tank to you sounds cool, right? On a serious note, I have to get more of the cabinet and canopy walls built out before I do the bulk of the plumbing. We were waiting for the tank to be on the stand first, so the trim work would be nice and tight. Just getting little things done here and there right now, but don't worry - I'll be calling you!

Tank-Crateinsidegarage_zps03e1b19b.jpg
alt="" />

Whatever man, just remember saturdays are out for me.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">
leveldrummer;846570 wrote: who built the tank? can you explain the over flow? looks like a glass tank with a coast to coast overflow across the back, with a acrylic false back/weir? is that correct or is there more to it?
</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">AGE (Acylic & Glass Exhibits) is the mfg. Overflow is pretty much what you described &#8230; full length C2C acrylic weir flush with back glass, external acrylic overflow box with (4) 1.5&#8221; drains and an acrylic bar inside the overflow to adjust water height (close off bottom of weir teeth). Couple shots of overflow to help my description:</span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Inside view of back wall of tank </span></span>
IMG_0534_zps2e53b3cd.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">View of the weir from inside of the overflow box. Water level adjusting bar is sitting right below the weir - fully open.</span></span>
IMG_0532_zps3a0f3124.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"><span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Same view of the weir from inside of the overflow box except the water level adjusting bar is closed - raising the water level. Closes off up to 1" of the weir teeth if needed.</span></span></span></span>
IMG_0533_zpsdf44ae25.jpg
alt="" /></span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Back of tank and overflow box ... all I got done last night was installing the bulkheads in the overflow box. Just haven't had the time this week.</span></span>
IMG_0531_zpsf62ab11f.jpg
alt="" />

Reefkeeper;846053 wrote: Very nice John. Let me know if you need any help with anything.
</span></span>

Thanks &#8230; and thanks again for grabbing those frags the other week!

Back