We've come a long way baby !!

oldschool52

Market
Reaction score
I was looking through some old books, not for aquarium books per say but ran across two saltwater books of mine that were very interesting. The first one is "Exotic Marine Fishes" by Dr. Herbert Axelrod. It was written in 1969, I have the 6th edition from 1982 and I know there is a 9th edition from 1993. Looking through this book reminded me how much we did not know or understand 27 years ago. He says in the book that not a whole lot is understood about saltwater fish, (does not mention anything about coral keeping just using coral skeletons for decorations in the FO tank), at this time. The best filtration then was under gravel filters. That is an under gravel with air stone lift tubes not even power heads. It was amusing to look through the pages and remember this is the best information at that time (no internet). Ths book cost me in the neighborhood of $40.00 back then, not cheep. The fish pictures are, like his freshwater books phenominal, even by today's standards. Oh, you can purchase the 1993 version,9th edition at Amazon today for $5.99 new today.

The second book I found is called "Small Reef Aquarium Basics", by Albert Thiel. It was written in 1989. I did re-read this book cover to cover. Much of the information in this book is still valid today. Thiel has a website with a forum and database with information. He does charge $15.00 a year to join and use it and some free links, many don't work. He is originally, I think from Germany. He advocates and pushes using Metal halides for lighting, best bulbs at the time I think were 6700k. He says he saw them being used in Europe on their coral tanks and was impressed how well the corals were doing. He put this kind of lighting on all his tanks. (he had a business then "Aqua Tech" now the info data base http://www.athiel.com">www.athiel.com</a>). The rage at this time was "trickle filters w/ bio balls. He does mention sumps and stresses skimmers. This book is available from Amazon, used about $4.00/ paperback, but has not been reprinted ot updated. Again at the time this was all we had, no internet yet just books and a whole bunch of misinformation from LFS's that just wanted to sell you stuff. There are still those LFS that do that so beware.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to let you all know how far this hobby has come. In my opinion I think:

#1 thing that has helped our hobby the most is the internet, all kinds of information if you're willing to search for it.

#2 LFSs that know what they're talking about and wanting to help out the hobby and not just sell product no matter what the cost and just make a buck.

#3 The use and better designs of skimmers

#4 Much better salt formulations

#5 Live rock is the way to go

#6 Much better lighting halides and T5s

#7 Having a sump and refugium

#8 Having forums like this where we can learn from each others triumphs and mistakes and/or misfortunes.

These are just some of the things I have seen and experienced in the years gone by. I thought that some of you would find this interesting. Like I said, "We've come a long way baby"

I have a friend (only person I knew in the hobby other than myself) in 1986 that lived in commerce. They had gotten out of the hobby long ago and was thinking about setting up a tank again. We talked about all the changes in the hobby that has transpired in that time, but my list was not as complete as yours.

I agree that more knowledgable LFS have added to the hobby. You can't blame the old LFS's, after all, they were getting the most up to date information they had at the time.
Basically, we had collectors in foreign countries ripping stuff from the ocean as fast as we could buy it with only a handful of researchers doing the hard science to figure out how do foster it.

Skimmers, live rock, availability of proper food sources and superior lighting definately changed the hobby for the better.

Back in the dark ages, theres no telling how much sea fauna this hobby killed because of unenlightened mistakes, (least of all mine) but knowledge is built upon over time, and when you really think about it, we'd not be where we are now without all those years of mistakes.

Sometimes I look at my tank and do think about what a change has taken place from the old days, how different my current set up can be from the sparse selection I'd have had 20 years prior.

Sometimes I think of this hobby's future.

LED Lighting; I think with-in 5 years, LED is going to replace MH and T5 lighting pretty much all together. China is already manufactoring lights that can rival lower end MH at a fraction of the cost to purchase and operate.

Plasma Lighting; Another 10 years from now I think we'll be running Plasma Lighting over our tanks, 1 or 2 bulbs little more than the size of a 3watt LED, but puts out a fantastic amount of blue white light.

Better skimmers; I think superior methods of skimming is right around the corner (I would love to get a sneak peak at Tunze's research facility). As municiple water supplies dwindles, science is racing to catch up in water treatment methods, and this hobby will benefit from that research being done now, quite possibly (probably?) a replacement for skimmers all together.

Sorry to get off topic in your thread but +1 to you for giving the interenet Kudos for advancement in this hobby. It took old wives tales and mis-information (almost) completely out of the hobby, as that's what most people were operating on back in the day.

Thank you for starting this most interesting thread!

I think you are right on, LED is in the near future (prices will come down and PAR will go up) with Plasma or some other stuff getting in. I'm working on LED lights myself still in protype and designs. (Once an engineer always in your blood) Its just fun to have been around, all these years, to see all the changes. I will continue to learn and contribute what I can to this hobby. Can't believe this all started for me with a bowl of guppies over 50 years ago.

Back