Chapter 2: 50g Lowboy LPS

I didn't unfortunately I have a black mat I put under mine. May ask around but I think I have seen rustoleum and krylon

Holy crap this plastic cutter is the most worthless piece of sh!t.
Is there any reason I cannot run this piece of acrylic through a table saw? Will it explode into a million fragments?

C88A74DE-5A1E-42EB-B559-CAC16E67D88E.jpeg0F6877C3-C9EF-4C0A-A985-FA06895A9FE9.jpeg

What is the material for doors and facing? Before you say wood, what type?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I would imagine that cabinet and furniture makers curse a lot. I mean a lot.

Also don’t be fooled - none of the lines match up and it looks 1000% better in the photo than it does in real life.

The wood was 3/4” plywood I had sitting in the garage for about a year. It’s the really nice 4x8 one that’s like $50. Some dope at Home Depot messed up cutting it and put it in the clearance bin right as I was walking by. I forget how much I paid but it was probably like $10. Actually it was probably sitting in my garage for over 2 years.

The doors I stole off a old entertainment center in the garage. It’s some type of laminate casing around what I assume is MDF. I thought about making a door but couldn’t figure out how to make a decent looking one so it was easier just to take one off the cabinet.

08DC37D2-8E37-4051-995D-2B8D3936FE9A.jpeg5BA5F850-9649-4953-906E-974E1951D1C8.jpeg

I would imagine that cabinet and furniture makers curse a lot. I mean a lot.

Also don’t be fooled - none of the lines match up and it looks 1000% better in the photo than it does in real life.

The wood was 3/4” plywood I had sitting in the garage for about a year. It’s the really nice 4x8 one that’s like $50. Some dope at Home Depot messed up cutting it and put it in the clearance bin right as I was walking by. I forget how much I paid but it was probably like $10. Actually it was probably sitting in my garage for over 2 years.

The doors I stole off a old entertainment center in the garage. It’s some type of laminate casing around what I assume is MDF. I thought about making a door but couldn’t figure out how to make a decent looking one so it was easier just to take one off the cabinet.

View attachment 21950View attachment 21951
A grinder and paint will make a carpenter what he ain't :)

I have a long way to go before water.
I really think I’m going to break that piece of acrylic when I cut it but we’ll see how it holds up. Fingers crossed

I have a long way to go before water.
I really think I’m going to break that piece of acrylic when I cut it but we’ll see how it holds up. Fingers crossed
I will be heading down that way next weekend it you will be ready for the solvent.

Impressive, you did a great job capturing most of my design detail!

Question - is this interior baffle wall supposed to be above or below the water intake slits?

View attachment 21428

The height of this wall is relevant the top slits, I also add more slits mid way down this wall to promote a more diverse induction of tank water while maintaining a surface skimming action. What is relevant about this wall is that its height sets the tank water level. on my 60 & 80 gal tanks (same 2'X 4' footprint as yours) the 1st baffle height is 1 1/8" shorter than the false wall making the water level 5/8" lower that the top of the false wall. This puts the water level high enough to be hidden by the black aquarium trim/frame.

does this diagram look right as far as the levels of the baffles?
1.png

The drawing looks fine for the baffles, but I would make the prefilter area deeper, at least 3" and mount the spillover wall 1/2" lower then the 1st baffle, this will allow the pre filter to clog and spill over letting you know its time to change it out. This is also a good space to put a bag or carbon or other stuff. Also the water lens after he 1st baffle will fluctuate with out affecting the level of the tank, this is where I put my ATO sensor (either the chamber with the egg crate or the chamber with the return pump).

I also have plenty of weldon products to glue acrylic and happy to share some but looks like I'm a ways away for you.

PS, I wouldn't worry about painting the bottom of the tank, even bare bottom you won't see through it unless you look top down (until Coraline covers it...)

Back