Zoas angry

Alexxowen

Supporting
Reaction score
So I have like 16 different frags growing in my tank, 2 are separate Zoa frags. And for some reason on of them closed up yesterday and I can’t seem to figure out why. All of my other coral is thriving and growing well. Anyone have any experience with Zoas getting mad for no reason?

So I have like 16 different frags growing in my tank, 2 are separate Zoa frags. And for some reason on of them closed up yesterday and I can’t seem to figure out why. All of my other coral is thriving and growing well. Anyone have any experience with Zoas getting mad for no reason?
I’m adding a picture of the entire tank, the Zoas about a month ago, and the Zoas today. I believe there are 2 different kinds on the same frag plug, and one of them looks better than ever, and the one that’s usually open is completely Closed.

Attachments

• C30966EA-FAC4-46B3-B022-BDEFB4BDC64C.jpeg
    C30966EA-FAC4-46B3-B022-BDEFB4BDC64C.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 31
  • CDBEC052-2BA9-4433-9484-6F446E4C1703.jpeg
    CDBEC052-2BA9-4433-9484-6F446E4C1703.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 8A8E31FB-DE33-4365-B9AC-3B339BE59FE9.jpeg
    8A8E31FB-DE33-4365-B9AC-3B339BE59FE9.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 31
Have you checked your parameters & nutrient levels? Temp? Salinity?

Yes, everything looked fine. Only thing that may be out is my temp is a little high at 84.4. But typically if anything is out of wack my pipe organ lets me know because it is extremely sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty hot for a reef tank. Any higher and you're playing fire. I'd look into blowing a fan over the surface to cool it down.

Any chance the cleaner shrimp is irritating the zoas?

That's pretty hot for a reef tank. Any higher and you're playing fire. I'd look into blowing a fan over the surface to cool it down.

It’s possible. It’s also in a spot the hermits like to walk through. Could be that. I just thought it weird that the other Zoas on the same plug are fine

84.4 degrees..pretty hot

I typically have had it around 82. But it seem to have gone up today. I’m trying to vent it now. I don’t have fans or a chiller for it

You’d be surprised at how effective a cheap little fan blowing across the top of the water is. I have one blowing across to top of my frag tank in the summer months

B524B5A9-3C36-4779-A0C7-B196028580E1.jpeg

You’d be surprised at how effective a cheap little fan blowing across the top of the water is. I have one blowing across to top of my frag tank in the summer months

Well I have a glass lid on it to keep evap down because I haven’t invested in an ato. So I think if I remember to vent it, I’ll be better off. It’s dropped to 82.4 now.

I'm curious how much of an effect just pointing a fan directly at the side of the tank would have. I imagine it wouldn't do nearly as much as evaporative cooling, but it might still diffuse enough heat through the glass to maintain a reasonable temp without having to top up all the time. Might be worth a shot!

Last edited:
Well I have a glass lid on it to keep evap down because I haven’t invested in an ato. So I think if I remember to vent it, I’ll be better off. It’s dropped to 82.4 now.

If you don't have an ato then stability is never nearly as good as it is with one. Aside from the obvious things like salt/lights/pumps....an ato is the most important piece of equipment you can have IMO. How is the ph with the glass top?

If you don't have an ato then stability is never nearly as good as it is with one. Aside from the obvious things like salt/lights/pumps....an ato is the most important piece of equipment you can have IMO. How is the ph with the glass top?
Typically it’s a little low like 7.9ish. But I use seachem reef buffer to get it up. Keeping my alkalinity high enough is the hardest part.

When salinity changes...all the other parameters change with it. You can top off each day but it's all at once. A diy gravity fed ato would work too if you needed to. Anyhoo..just a thought

Back