Hazey top water

ReefMatt

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have any clue what this haze is at the top of my tank. Can’t seem to get rid of it. I have a reef mat 1200 and a good skimmer. Still not getting rid of it. Tank is clean. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Looks like Surface accumulation. What kind of weir/overflow do you have? If enough surface water doesn't go over, you need to agitate the surface with a power head or wave maker.

Go back and re-read your previous post where you questioned this. Your protein skimmer has nothing to do with surface water, you either need a SURFACE SKIMMER or a LOT OF FLOW TO CAUSE TURBULENCE ON THE SURFACE OF THE WATER so your filtration can remove the problem.

Looks like Surface accumulation. What kind of weir/overflow do you have? If enough surface water doesn't go over, you need to agitate the surface with a power head or wave maker.
I have a peninsula tank and there are 3 sides that the water can drain to the sump. I’m thinking a wave maker may do the trick

I have a peninsula tank and there are 3 sides that the water can drain to the sump. I’m thinking a wave maker may do the trick
"3 sides that the water can drain to the sump" really doesn’t seem likely, generally there is only one or two overflows. Dave is absolutely correct that lots of turbulance/surface agitation is necessary to remove the scum from the surface and get it into the water so it can be filtered out by the roller mat and skimmer.

"3 sides that the water can drain to the sump" really doesn’t seem likely, generally there is only one or two overflows. Dave is absolutely correct that lots of turbulance/surface agitation is necessary to remove the scum from the surface and get it into the water so it can be filtered out by the roller mat and skimmer.
2 over flows. I’ll send pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 25
From the picture it’s hard to tell but it looks like the water level in your overflow is the same as the “display” portion. This would cause the surface skim to not overflow down into the overflow but stay afloat while the water underneath it get sucked down. Also with peninsula tanks if your outflow is pushing in a wave towards the open side the skim may not be able to circulate back towards the overflow.

From the picture it’s hard to tell but it looks like the water level in your overflow is the same as the “display” portion. This would cause the surface skim to not overflow down into the overflow but stay afloat while the water underneath it get sucked down. Also with peninsula tanks if your outflow is pushing in a wave towards the open side the skim may not be able to circulate back towards the overflow.
That’s what’s happening.

Yeah if that’s happening then I would first try to mess with your output nozzles in different configurations to see if you can get a current that allows the scum to flow back. These can be minor tweaks and see what happens. If the scum is able to flow back to reach the overflow but does not waterfall over then you can look into lowering that water level in the overflow. Like others have said a powerhead can help as well with the output nozzle positioning to push the scum but I know it’s more difficult with the peninsula style.

Back