Palys ro be feared?

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
I have been reading random advise on Facebook posts describing the evils of palys.
I get what is being said. Seems there are a hundred ways to get rid of them, if you even can. Or want to.
Here is what I’m wondering (I know I’m out there) can’t you just irritate is to death?
When I touch other corals they retract and I assume stop feeding etc. can’t you just irritate it and starve it out? And I know you can’t stay up 24 hours a day irritating a coral to death, but mine seem to be sleeping at night when the lights go out. ( and I don’t really know if they even sleep, they seem to, they do on Spounge Bob.)
And don’t get me wrong if I got them and decided to get rid of them, I wouldn’t just irritate them, I’m more of a nuke’em kind of person, but could you just irritate them to death? Or keep them down?
There is nothing more fascinating than touching a coral and watching it react.

FYI
I’m and old retired guy that is spending an in ordinate amount of time just sitting next to his tank watching his new hobby. I got all day to irritate them if I wanted to. ( My wife thinks I could irritate something to death, I’ve come close with her!)

Irritating them will only cause them to grow more. If you take the rock out just cut them off, and don’t touch, wear eye protection, they can squirt).

I don't know much with palys but just be careful of palytoxins while you either irritate or nuke them.
I bought one of those cool yellow-green-glow-under-the-lamps plexiglass sticks a few weeks ago, I can poke them with that.

If you want to rid yourself of palys / zoas without a lot of effort, try a filefish. You need to respect palys and zoas and wear proper PPE when handling them.

Back