Grow coral outside?

Mick

Supporting
Reaction score
It’s getting warm outside and the days are long. Has anyone tried growing corals outside in the summer months? Any hypotheses on what the growth might be with all that natural light?

I figure zoas and palys would love a partially shady area of the deck. Any others that could work well? Turbinia’s?

There’s two ways to find out: 1) you guys tell me if that will work or encourage me not to and 2) I try it and you guys chip in ideas of how to increase the success rate.

A couple of years ago I bred a barrel of cherry shrimp outside… a lot could have gone wrong but didn’t.

I've never tried it, but I would imagine the hardest part would be keeping temperature and salinity in an appropriate range. It can definitely be done though Julian Sprung in Florida has an outdoor saltwater pond with a huge Duncan coral, clams, and some other stuff. Tidal Gardens in Ohio has a coral greenhouse. You can find videos about both on YouTube for inspiration

I would think temp stability would be the toughest. Mornings and afternoons can have a crazy swing in temp. Then in August with 100 degree temps and high humidity, that would be a tough one to keep cool depending the size of the system.

I've never tried it, but I would imagine the hardest part would be keeping temperature and salinity in an appropriate range. It can definitely be done though Julian Sprung in Florida has an outdoor saltwater pond with a huge Duncan coral, clams, and some other stuff. Tidal Gardens in Ohio has a coral greenhouse. You can find videos about both on YouTube for inspiration
BRS just did an interview with Than. He talks about the challenges with the greenhouse method. Inconsistent sun, temp and pollen were a few of the issues he highlights

While coral might be difficult to keep outside, I've seen several people in this agricultural zone grow phyto, pods and macro outdoors in livestock tubs. I just set up a phyto-macro tub myself to see how well it grows.

While coral might be difficult to keep outside, I've seen several people in this agricultural zone grow phyto, pods and macro outdoors in livestock tubs. I just set up a phyto-macro tub myself to see how well it grows.
Oh now I’m keenly interested to see how that work out!!

When I lived in Ohio there was a place that grew them in a greenhouse all year long. Evalen when it was 0 or below.

Back