Culturing your own copepods/zooplanktons is super easy!!!

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve been culturing copepods since sometime this summer around May.

I’ve started with culturing 2 different types of phytoplankton (Tetraselmis and Nannochoropsis from Mercer Montana initially).

IMG_4270.jpeg

I have stop culturing phytoplankton because it need lots of sanitization and much careful handling. I tried for about two month. In that time it was 50/50 success rate.

Once I got phyto going, I got me some copepods as well. Idea was to culture both somehow. Until I realized buying concentrated phytoplankton is WAY Better than culturing my own. It’s cheaper as well I’m going to say. Small bottle last me few month.

IMG_6340.jpeg

It’s very simple setup. Matter a fact, you don’t even need to have air bubbler if you don’t want to.

Here is example of culture that got frozen in the back porch but still thriving afterward. Currently I brought them back inside for faster growth.

IMG_5257.jpeg

They don’t bleed fast in cold weather but they didn’t die either
IMG_5576.jpeg

I alternate between two container draining 1/2 and adding to the tank at night.

This one does better than other one because it has less bubbles
IMG_6337.jpeg

This one will be ready by this weekend to be added to the tank.

IMG_6338.jpeg

I added 3 different types of copepods in both jars. I can’t remember 3rd one unfortunately. I did have them separately at one point but I just wanted to see who wins?! One thing I’ve noticed was when I was culturing outside, Apex pod was dominant but inside its tisbee and the another small sized one is doing well.

before adding some liquid phytoplankton
IMG_6342.jpeg

After adding phytoplanton
IMG_6343.jpeg

I dose phytoplankton daily and add reef roid with ato every 3dayish~

Back