UV sterilizers?

kodock

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking to see if any of you use UV sterilizers and if so, any recommendations. I see Aqua UV, Pentair & Aquatic Life have the higher end results, but the negative reviews seem to be the same as cheaper units coralife (apparently has a history of leeching rusted metal), green killing machine allegedly works but not to the extent of real inhibition.. saw the jebao but it looks meh..

Any recommendations? Thanks!

I have a CUV-55 (no name, I'm assuming Sunsun) I bought used, been running a few years at night only, through 3-4 bulb changes. No problems, seems to ba as good a quality as an Aquatop 36 I ran on another tank for a while.

I have a CUV-55 (no name, I'm assuming Sunsun) I bought used, been running a few years at night only, through 3-4 bulb changes. No problems, seems to ba as good a quality as an Aquatop 36 I ran on another tank for a while.
Thanks!! What let’s you know to change the bulbs, just checking it every so often?

A rule of thumb is to change UV bulbs about every 12 months, or 9000 hours of operation.
Quick math 9000 hrs/24 hrs per day = 375 days.

I have used 2 different brands successfully, over a period of decades. Aqua UV and another brand no longer made. I can vouch for Aqua UV’s performance.

We had a very long, very technical thread on here some years ago about UV. On which I was a contributor. After a lot of research on the topic, in addition to decades of practical experience, I am confident saying that UV is an effective means of controlling pathogens & algae. Also, most UV unit application specs. are over rated for most of our needs. The short answer to why I say that is that most of the data generated has been from studies on the sterilization of drinking water. Which has much more rigid requirements than aquaria use.

I'm running a AquaUltraviolet on my home tank, I've also used several of the Lifegard UVs and I like their setup, they also come with a bulb life countdown timer on the ballast.

Back