New toy >:)

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
Today I was given a 36w 12x coralife UV sterilizer by our awesome president.

What do you guys think about these things? I've never even considered purchasing any UV sterilizer, but since this one was given to me it's a whole different story.

The replacement bulbs are either $20 off brand or $62 coralife brand on amazon. Probably because coralife doesnt manufacture the bulbs and has to mark them way up to make a profit?

Apparently you must adjust the flow rate for algae, bacteria, or parasites. But in the instructions I found, it says not to use a valve in the line inbetween the tank and the UV sterilizer body. Do they mean the return line?

I'd welcome any discussion about UV sterilizers in this thread, including this brand vs. another, but just be aware that this was given to me as a gift, and I wasn'y looking into getting the "best one" anyway.

Regardless, pretty cool gift. I'm excited to set it up. Just don't know much about them. And thanks again, Dylan!

Right that's why I'm assuming the instructions are referring to the output/return to the aquarium, even though it doesn't specify. If you mount the UV and use it as a HOB, either line would go directly to the aquarium.

I don't see how else you would control the flow though so it must be ok to use a valve after the pump/ before the UV. Like I said I don't know anything about them, except that they can burn your eyes badly

When i had mine hooked up.I had it in sump and picked the right sized MJ pump..In my case it was about 200 gph.

I think I would just want the appropriate gph for algae and leave it that way, anyway. It's not like I am going to have tangs in my 60 cube.

Back