Hanna Mag and Calcium Opinions

Cuso

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking for any recent experience with either of the checkers above - i do like my alk, phos ulr and nitrate checkers to preface but use red sea for the other 2 params.

I recall seeing something recently about the new Mag testers being decent so was really leaning this way as I'm having issues feeling dialed in with the Red Sea titration. Especially when .02ml is like a 40 ppt swing.

The Red Sea calcium works ok for me and the margin of error is a bit better to me, but I do like the idea of a digital readout.

Above all else, given testing correctly etc., can they at least be said to be accurate/not a giant pain to use?

Mag isn’t bad. Calcium is annoying. You would get skewed numbers if your distilled water wasn’t like absolutely pristine. I use the Hanna’s to confirm my trident and Focustronic readings once in a while to make sure both are relatively close.

Aquaforrest mag test is cheap and good. Red sea calcium is fairly accurate. Hanna is good for nitrate hr, alk, and phosphate ulr or phosphorus IMO. The others are finicky

Follow the directions the hanna mag and calcium checkers are great. I do keep salifert/redsea tests as back ups

Back