Stray Tank Voltage

AaronS

Reaction score
Good evening all.
Many times over the decade I have had this tank, Ive had pumps or heaters give me a taste of their voltage.
Usually I unplug things until I don't get zapped but I refuse to play that game with the amount of electronics attached to the tank.

I *believe* I correctly set the VOM to the correct AC setting, ground wire to center screw on GFCI. Red wire+ from the VOM hanging in the tank.
I had I believe 76v taking an adventure throughs the tank, it tested the same whether I checked the sump or DT.
I played the game unplugging electronics. I found a sump power head that when unplugged, the VOM read 002 instead of 076.
Is that correct? My question being A. did I truly narrow it down or should it read 000. B. did I actually use my VOM correctly. My VOM gets most of its usage on 12v of car voltage not AC house voltage.

I do keep a grounding rod in the sump, I removed it for this test.
The tank has been going for about a decade, some of the pumps etc. are original. I have swapped many of them out, but I like to check and confirm my work. I once had a brand new UV bulb leak voltage, fresh out of the box.

Attachments

• tempImagewSYyIO.png
    tempImagewSYyIO.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 7
  • tempImage7NnHzH.png
    tempImage7NnHzH.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 7
.Set your volt meter on the lower setting (200 volts) and unless your meter is calibrated, it may be a slightly high reading showing 2 volts. Looks like you found the culprit. If in doubt, stick your finger in and see if it gets you.

Particular power heads are known to cause issues with stray voltage. No longer in business. Was it Koraria? I had this happen when I first started the reefing hobby.

Unplug everything and then plug things in one by one to see whats causing it. Whatever it is, replace it.

I doubt stray voltage in the tank is a bad thing. Ive had equipment fry and shock the crap out of me when I put my hand in the tank but nothing in the tank seemed to care.

I tried grounding probes way back when but not I dont bother. Im going with the thinking that unless there is a ground present the "stray voltage" can not complete a circuit.

Back