Reefer 750 Finally Ordered

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone, it has taken a while but my tank should finally arrive next week. I started this journey back in February and still have a long way to go!!! I'm going to sort of list what I have so far and what I still have planned, hopefully it doesn't get too long winded!!! Thank you everyone for all of your help and feed back so far. I have probably missed some items as well, but please give any feedback, criticism, support, help, guidance, or just good job that you may have. As this is our first large tank we are super excited and super nervous at the same time especially as we get closer to the tank arriving.

Have Already
Tank - Red Sea 750xxl White
Return Pump - Reef Octopus Varios 8 pump and a Jebao DCP 13,000 for emergency
Skimmer - AquaMaxx CO-3 in sump skimmer
Heaters - 2-500 watt Finnex Titanium Heaters - Finnex controller but only single plug
Apex - Full system including leak detection, 1inch flow meter for return to be plugged into FMM for LDK, BOB, DOS for AWC, wxm for mp60's maybe, and maybe more later!!!
Skim Mate Locker - Avast Skim Mate Locker, this is for my I don't feel like dumping poop days!!! I told the wife she will love me more for it later!
Plumbing - blue 1 inch pvc with black pvc fittings, I have my gate valve for my over flow and my ball valve for the manifold, I still have to get my tees for the manifold and the metric to standard conversion fittings.
Testing - I bought an API salt water testing kit for now, hoping to meet up with Brandon this weekend sometime to try to get some Hannah checkers.
Rock - I have probably about 200 - 250 lbs soaking in fresh RODI water will drain and get into salt water on sunday probably.

Still Need
Sand - Haven't decided yet
Aqua Scape - Still have to get acrylic rods and epoxy or cement.
Plumbing - Clear primer and glue, metric to standard fittings, and 1 inch black tee's for manifold
Lights - Still going back and forth, like one I saw on R2R - 2 36 inch aquatic life hybrids with 6 Radions xr15 but still may change again. The lights seem to be the hardest item to make a solid decision on.
Cabinets - one for each side of tank - "I do not want to see one wire", that was the wife words it must be clean and organized!!!
Egg crate - considering putting this on bottom of tank. Thoughts?
Husbandry - Still have to get most of this stuff, nets, chemicals, medicines, gloves, scrapper, tongs, salt - LA at the moment,
Flow - 2 GYRE 350's or 2 MP60's, still deciding on that one.
Lid - Leaning toward Artfully acrylic lid
Switches - for break out box, door magnet for under cabinet lights, and led lights for under cabinet
ATO - waiting for new ATK to come out and I still have to decide how I'm going to do ATO. Not sure if I want to plumb directly from my RODI tank to sump scary I know, or plumb the RODI to an ATO container, or just use a hose or something to fill a traditional ATO container
humidity Control - thinking about installing a bathroom fan over the tank with a humidistat near the stand, to help control any extra humidity or moisture in the air. As most already know, GA is already humid as you know what!!!
Chiller - I'm going to try to do without one, I keep the house around 74 degrees most of the time even in winter maybe 76.
Media Reactors - none now, maybe Bashsea later to match our plumbing!
Apex power bar 832 - need at least 1 more maybe 2, depending on how I change around or automate my water station.

QT Set Up
Should I just buy a 20 gallon kit or piece together one, especially since petco has the dollar a gallon sale going on?

You mention "gate valve for my over flow and my ball valve for the manifold", if you didn't switch those by mistake I would advise a ball valve for the overflow, for me it was to difficult to precisely control the drain with a gate valve. Also, I over-ordered on Instant Ocean Hold Fast epoxy, I can spare about 5 or 6 tubes, let me know if you're interested. Congratulations on the Red Sea, look forward to seeing a build thread, and good luck.

You mention "gate valve for my over flow and my ball valve for the manifold", if you didn't switch those by mistake I would advise a ball valve for the overflow, for me it was to difficult to precisely control the drain with a gate valve. Also, I over-ordered on Instant Ocean Hold Fast epoxy, I can spare about 5 or 6 tubes, let me know if you're interested. Congratulations on the Red Sea, look forward to seeing a build thread, and good luck.
I plan on replacing the factory red sea gate valve with a standard one, I've heard theirs is a pain. I'll have to take another look at that then.
Yes, I'm interested in it. Is it pretty easy to work with?
Thank you, I'm going to need all the luck and help I can get!!

you should use cement this was my first time using it and i wont ever use anything else lol

"I plan on replacing the factory red sea gate valve with a standard one, I've heard theirs is a pain."

FWIW- I went with Spears brand gate valves, as they appear to have a good reputation in the hobby with purportedly superior design features.

"I plan on replacing the factory red sea gate valve with a standard one, I've heard theirs is a pain."

FWIW- I went with Spears brand gate valves, as they appear to have a good reputation in the hobby with purportedly superior design features.
I had to double check, tgats actually what I got.

Sounds like you've done your research, that's a pretty exhaustive list! I think you'll need to get an RO/DI setup as well

Sounds like you've done your research, that's a pretty exhaustive list! I think you'll need to get an RO/DI setup as well
Thank you, I've spent about the last 6 months on here researching and asking questions. They all have been very helpful on here to say the least. I actually already have a brs 6 stage 150gpd set up in the garage along with 2 75 gallon water storage tanks, that was one of the first steps I completed. No water runs to the store for this guy!!!

Back