Upgrade from 45 to 90 galons

dutreras

Reaction score
I am sure most of you have upgraded your tanks one or two times or even more. I have. 45 gallon tank that is doing pretty well. Parameters in check and stable, fish and corals growing. Ambition or addiction got me in to buying a 90 gal tank. I bought new live sand and also dry rock. So the questions are? Do I cycle the 90 gal first and then I add slowly everything from the 45 to the 90? And if so do I add my live rock at the same time, or should I do it little by little? Or if I don't cycle it, I just throw everything in there including my old sand, my live rock but the fish and the coral to help that tank cycle and then I add the fish and coral?
Do I throw I the new tank everything from the old tank at the same time including the old water and then I add the new sand and the new rock and slowly raise the water level to the top. Please help
hajydyte.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrhunter0000;971275 wrote: Just remember dont listen to others... BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER!

I might be upgrading to a bigger tank soon too.

If you add the live rock, water, and a several scoops of old sand from your old tank to the new tank, it won't cycle long compared to waiting on your new tank to cycle a month.

MarquiseO;971353 wrote: If you add the live rock, water, and a several scoops of old sand from your old tank to the new tank, it won't cycle long compared to waiting on your new tank to cycle a month.

First, new sand and all new water would be my preference.

Second, the existing live rock is handling you current bio load and therefore would continue to handle it in the new or old tank. Mor water volume would actually help. If the new rock is not live, it won't hurt or help. But put in with the old rock and livestock it will become live quickly. I went from a 30 gal to a 125 this way with no problems.

rdnelson99;971362 wrote: First, new sand and all new water would be my preference.

Second, the existing live rock is handling you current bio load and therefore would continue to handle it in the new or old tank. Mor water volume would actually help. If the new rock is not live, it won't hurt or help. But put in with the old rock and livestock it will become live quickly. I went from a 30 gal to a 125 this way with no problems.

So no need for cycling it again?

rdnelson99;971362 wrote: First, new sand and all new water would be my preference.

He is going from a 45 to a 90. Adding the old water without collecting existing detritus won't hurt. Its like doing a water change in the 90g.

Yes yes i like all this input, thank you so much!

MarquiseO;971370 wrote: There will be a small cycle because of a small die-off.

Why would there be die off? Same water same rock same sand, just different location. Just as if I did a 50% water change in a 90 galon? And the I add 45 gal of fresh water

dutreras;971376 wrote: Why would there be die off? Same water same rock same sand, just different location. Just as if I did a 50% water change in a 90 galon? And the I add 45 gal of fresh water

There's always die-off when transferring. It's going to be a mini-cycle. It may not even be noticeable to you. It could be in a matter of minutes, hours, or just a day.

Ok so here is the twist; I am moving from one home to another. The 90 is on the new house already. The 45 is with me still at my old house. 10 minutes from one pace to the other. Do you think it's still possible to do what Marquise O suggested ?

Yep. You definitely see the die off while transporting but you should be able to still get the same results. I have moved one of my old tanks 3 times doing what I stated above and still achieved success.

Bgcoop8784;971372 wrote: I will suggest if you re-use the water..wait a little while after removing the rock so any waste can settle that you stir up...or pull the water before the rock.

+1.

No matter how clean the old water is, moving it will move some nasties. Why not start fresh unless it is a money issue.

If you move the sand you will absolutely have a toxins that will affect things negatively. Crud collects in the sand. As soon as you des turn it you release it into the water column. I would not move the sand without washing it completely before putting it in the new tank.

Existing water has nitrates, phosphates, nitrites, and ammonia in it. If he uses new fresh saltwater, it will cause a cycle because there will be no existing parameters to convert right away. His existing bacterial population will die further as well as filament algae. Dirty to us is different to an ecosystem.

Back