Silent Double Filter Sock Holder - Aqueon 20g Long

chaples55

Supporting
Reaction score
Designed and printed this holder because I got tired of changing a single 4" sock almost every day. Also got tired of the return line going straight into the sock, which made it a pain to change.

I printed this in 3 parts. There's holes for 5mm acrylic rods as dowels to connect the parts. I used super glue on the dowels and along the seams.

It sits perfectly on the rim of a 20g long on 3 sides and has a cutout to spill into the sump if the sucks socks get clogged. It is pretty much as compact as possible while accommodating 2 socks. I got the silencer inserts on Thingiverse. They are required to get even flow to both socks and to make it quiet.

IMG_20230627_154020.jpg
IMG_20230627_154015.jpg

Got to test this for a while but I'm pretty happy with the design so far. I'll be making a 6 sock version for the new Aqueon 60g.

Last edited:
Also I am by no means a 3D modeling or 3D printing expert. I whipped this up in tinkercad and printed on an ender 3. I'll share the files if anyone is interested.

I used black Inland PLA+. I used to use only ABS and PETG, but I've started using PLA because it's easier and I haven't had any problems yet. I've also seen other reefers say they use it.

PLA is not as biodegradable as some companies would like you to think. It requires industrial composting conditions, and even then it's questionable how fast it actually breaks down. I suspect it won't break down at all in an aquarium since it never reaches the high temperatures that PLA is susceptible to.

I used black Inland PLA+. I used to use only ABS and PETG, but I've started using PLA because it's easier and I haven't had any problems yet. I've also seen other reefers say they use it.

PLA is not as biodegradable as some companies would like you to think. It requires industrial composting conditions, and even then it's questionable how fast it actually breaks down. I suspect it won't break down at all in an aquarium since it never reaches the high temperatures that PLA is susceptible to.

That’s great to know! I have access to a 3D printer through my university, but only PLA filament is used so I was worried it would degrade in my tank. Glad to hear others have had success as well.

That’s great to know! I have access to a 3D printer through my university, but only PLA filament is used so I was worried it would degrade in my tank. Glad to hear others have had success as well.

The only precaution I've read is that you want to be careful with colorful filaments. Depending on what dyes are used, they could be toxic. Or so they say... Black, white, and natural (clear) should always be safe.

The only precaution I've read is that you want to be careful with colorful filaments. Depending on what dyes are used, they could be toxic. Or so they say... Black, white, and natural (clear) should always be safe.
Good advice, for some reason this particular school only buys red, white, and black filament… hmmm I wonder why. In all seriousness I’d probably only use black anyways so it’s good to know that should be one of the safest options.

Back