Another DIY filter sock

lshin037

Market
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to make your own filter socks but thought I'd share my way in hopes it may help somebody else.

I got tired of washing the premade socks and I couldn't even give them a good washing in the machine since the wife wouldn't have it. I got a Red Sea filter cup and tried the polyfil stuff but didn't really like pieces of it floating everywhere. I tried the batting and it was ok but didn't feel it filtered well. I found a thread on RC where someone used polyester felt. He sewed the felt into a sock and he just threw it away when it got dirty. I didn't have a sewing machine and didn't want to buy one of the handheld portable ones because they have bad reviews for breaking easily but they are pretty cheap so I decided to give it a try. Ordered a 72in x 10yd roll of this. Before ordering the handheld sewing machine, I tried burning the edges to melt it together and it worked!

This takes a bit more DIY as you'll have to find ways to make it work for your application (size) but it gets your started.

You cut the felt into the size you need for your filter cup. Then burn the edges with a torch or lighter until you see it starting to melt and press the edges together. The video I made shows me doing this with my bare fingers but BE CAREFUL. It can get HOT! I recommend using work gloves. I found a container/cup that fits perfectly in the 7" red sea cup, cut the bottom off, and used to hold the sock in place. This is where it'll take a bit of work to locate or make something that will work for your size.

And here are some pics of how it all goes in the cup

IMG_1577.JPGIMG_2331.JPGIMG_4663.JPGIMG_9173.JPG

That’s cool / creative! I had similar experiences/opinions about the various options myself. I broke down and bought the AquaMaxx AF-1 Automatic Filter Roller and couldn’t be happier. Can’t believe I waited so long...

Back