(no longer very urgent) In need of FW substrate/filter media for new tank in Atlanta Area

Depressed_Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok so recently for the holidays a friend of mine got me a petco betta and tank and i am in that awkward situation where it's a fresh tank and obviously is not cycled yet but the betta is currently in my possession in a cup. The only tank I have up right now is a reef. Looking for some filter media or gravel to jumpstart the cycle so the betta doesn't have to huff too much ammonia. Will also take your unwanted low-tech clippings and floaters like frogbit and/or duckweed. I can pickup if you are in the midtown or atlanta area

How big is the tank? If it's something like 5+ gallons I think the betta will be fine doing a fish-in cycle and you may not even register any ammonia if you feed very light at first. Really, any tank is better than being in the cup. I would say go ahead and put the betta in right away. Freshwater is much more forgiving and cycles much faster than saltwater. You can always test and change the water if needed.

With that said, if you can make it out to Snellville I can give you a scoop of eco-complete substrate and some moss and plants. The plants will also take up ammonia as they grow.

It's 2.5 gallons

might take you up on that offer if I got some time soon, much appreciated

I have some microbacter 7 i put in, and i was able to nab some filter media from someone that lived nearby, so i think i'm all good now. still would appreciate unwanted plant clippings tho trying to set this up like a walstad

Sounds like you should be good to go. Just lmk on the plants. I have a few varieties of moss and floaters as well as java fern and several kinds of stem plants

Back