Rock For a New Reef

joeyprice

Supporting
Reaction score
Back in the 90s there was 1 option, live rock. And it was really live. Had all sorts of things growing on it, some of it you would want, some you wouldn't. I used to drive to this guys warehouse out by LAX and buy it for 2 bucks a pound. It seems that conservation it more on the mind these days and folks are pushing dry rock. Is that what I should be using? The BRS stuff seems pretty popular, but I also see plenty of people selling or giving away rock from tank break-downs, so I'm a little confused. Is the LR preferred, but only if you can get it from another hobbyist so you know some guy isn't out there holding his breath and wielding a hammer and chisel destroying a natural reef?

Joe

There is a couple of companies that you can buy actual live rock from the ocean from. They actually take rock and place it in the ocean, but it is pretty pricey. You save a quit a bit by buying live rock from other hobbyist. The marco rock from brs is pretty popular, but you are starting with a completely dry man made rock. So it will take longer for it to really take off. Love rock is the way to go, as long as you know what your getting and the system is clean. That's the biggest risk of live rock.

Great question. The trade offs between LR and DR are more than just Reef conservation. As to which one you should be using; that depends on your values.

Dry Rock:
•No pests or bad/unwanted hitchhikers (pests algae, aiptasia, flatworms, nudibranchs, spiders, and hundreds of others)
•Economical

Live Rock:
•Immediate high bacteria load for processing nutrients
•Cool beneficial critters!

For me, “no pests” is the highest value, so I strongly prefer dry rock. I don’t mind waiting several extra weeks to build up bacterial populations. But many people really want ‘immediate results now’, and that’s fair too, so they would prefer live rock.

After you decide live vs dry rock... there are many types to choose from. BRS reefsaver (aka Marco Rock) is a relatively environmentally friendly option... whether you buy it as live rock or dry rock. Each type of rock will have its own unique characteristics. Primarily, people are most interested in porosity, cracks and crevices for critters to hide or to mount coral frags, or personal aesthetic preferences!

It’s a very personal choice, and there isn’t necessarily a right or wrong choice... as long as your choice is in line with your own personal values.

MarcoRocks is mined from ancient coral reef, which formed before the last Ice Age, when sea levels were much higher. So, maybe ~30,000 years old. It is not man made.

Fwiw, it’s what I use, for the same reason above, no pests. Takes longer, but I control most of what goes into my reef.

I don't mind waiting for things to ramp up, this tank has been sitting dry for 2 years.
Can you ever really be sure LR is clean, or is that kind of like a reefing unicorn? If so, maybe I'll use bulk of the Marco Rock and top it off with some LR to speed things up a little, like coraline etc. Are people still using 1lb/gal as a formula? A lot of the scapes I'm looking at here and on other forums look like they're using significantly less than that.

The 1 lb/gal rule of thumb is for dry rock.

You can buy corraline in a bottle now, with no pests.

You can use previously used rock, but it will all have phosphate deposited on it during use... or pests too!

The way to get rid of the phosphate is to-
-bleach the rock to kill off all the life on it
-rinse it several times to get off dead things
-then treat with dechlorinator
-rinse in 5% citric acid solution
-rinse thoroughly with DI water
Then you can use it...
Or, just buy MarcoRocks.

Gotcha, Marco it is. You think I should just get 100 lbs of the reefsaver, or mix it up with some shelf and whatnot?

I have 2, 20lb boxes of brand new Caribbean Life Rock Belize Branch. Bought more for my new build than I ended up using. Retails $100 per 20lb box, plus shipping. Would take $80 for each or $150 for both.

20lb box of branching (1 of 2)
Sample pieces from 35 gal brute of dry rock
Molly for scale (50lb boxer mix)

Attachments

• 20200803_143208.jpg
    20200803_143208.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200803_143033.jpg
    20200803_143033.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
Im currently breaking down my 120 and have a few decent sized rocks that have quite a bit of coral on them still. Thay are covered in coraline and coral and remnants of some nice coral that i cut off but the base is still there and you might end up with some gems if youre interested. I would only ask the going price of live rock20200801_175921.jpg20200801_175916.jpg20200801_175932.jpg20200801_180000.jpg

Im currently breaking down my 120 and have a few decent sized rocks that have quite a bit of coral on them still. Thay are covered in coraline and coral and remnants of some nice coral that i cut off but the base is still there and you might end up with some gems if youre interested. I would only ask the going price of live rockView attachment 28488View attachment 28489View attachment 28490View attachment 28491
I'm not sure the timing is going to work on this, which makes me very sad. I work night shift, and am asleep all day, so I can only do this stuff on weekends. It will be at least until this weekend before I could take anything, and I don't even have salter water in the tank yet.

I'm not sure the timing is going to work on this, which makes me very sad. I work night shift, and am asleep all day, so I can only do this stuff on weekends. It will be at least until this weekend before I could take anything, and I don't even have salter water in the tank yet.
Im only home on weekends anyway bsides i stll have fish in there wouldnt be ready for another week or 2 anyway if you were interested i could work with you on the timing

Im only home on weekends anyway bsides i stll have fish in there wouldnt be ready for another week or 2 anyway if you were interested i could work with you on the timing
I am interested. I'm trying to go as quickly as I can and still not screw anything up. If you find an interested 3rd party please go ahead with them. I will keep you posted on my progress. Finally got the lights to connect to WiFi today!

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_165000.jpg
    IMG_20200804_165000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Back