Frigus Reef - 2.5 Gallon Pico

Frigus Reef

Market
Reaction score
I had been on and off in the reef hobby and kinda frustrated with algae to the point where I was over it. I quit for a long time, and about two weeks ago I set up this pico.
23DA7D00-6968-4A9F-A14F-680C1FA6B943.jpeg
This was when I first set it up, it’s since cleared and I’ll update with a picture when I get home.
I have some seasoned live rock from Land & Sea in Dallas, Carib-Sea live sand, some acorn barnacles, a small bivalve, three Atlantic white-legged hermit crabs and a small random fish out of some guy’s bait bucket.
I plan to keep it really simple. I’ll probably add some Zoanthids, Rhodactis and a Gorgonian because I really love the Western Atlantic reefs.
My next purchase is probably gonna be a better light, right now it’s just a few small LEDs but I plan to keep it low light.

If anyone has any ideas or feedback I’d be more than happy to hear it :)

Looking good! I always love a good natural looking tank. As much as the high-end (and high price!) colorful reefs are stunning, I find simple setups can also be beautiful.

Also love that you’re choosing animals from a certain part of the globe; I’m trying to slowly move my home reef into that direction as well!

Looking good! I always love a good natural looking tank. As much as the high-end (and high price!) colorful reefs are stunning, I find simple setups can also be beautiful.

Also love that you’re choosing animals from a certain part of the globe; I’m trying to slowly move my home reef into that direction as well!
Yes! There’s soooo much beauty in our native reefs!!! I’ve always done Gulf/Caribbean biotope. And I’ve done some collecting. Looking forward to going sometime soon :)

I’ve never liked the giant high end setups. That’s not the point of the hobby for me.

Also so much of our native species are much more affordable and easier to get :)

Yes! There’s soooo much beauty in our native reefs!!! I’ve always done Gulf/Caribbean biotope. And I’ve done some collecting. Looking forward to going sometime soon :)

I’ve never liked the giant high end setups. That’s not the point of the hobby for me.

Also so much of our native species are much more affordable and easier to get :)

Native species are amazing! If you’re into the freshwater side of the hobby I’d highly recommend looking into some of our freshwater darter species. Some people go their whole lives living here without realizing what exotic and colorful species we have in the streams and rivers in our own backyards!

Native species are amazing! If you’re into the freshwater side of the hobby I’d highly recommend looking into some of our freshwater darter species. Some people go their whole lives living here without realizing what exotic and colorful species we have in the streams and rivers in our own backyards!
I almost attempted a darter setup, I’m not that big of a freshwater fan though tbh

This is such a neat concept! I love it. I'm doing something similar with a 5g pico, however all of my animals thus far are from the Atlantic side. It was more of an accident after collecting too many hermits to put in my main tanks, so they stayed there and now a lovely little biotope has developed.
Can't wait to see this evolve.

This is such a neat concept! I love it. I'm doing something similar with a 5g pico, however all of my animals thus far are from the Atlantic side. It was more of an accident after collecting too many hermits to put in my main tanks, so they stayed there and now a lovely little biotope has developed.
Can't wait to see this evolve.
A lot of our Atlantic side species are also in the gulf! In my experience I’ve found more blennies on the gulf side for some reason?

Currently I’m looking for just some small zoanthid frags just to see how they do before adding anything else. Then maybe a little clump of C. prolifera

Update: The fish died, the crab partook.

We have hella microfauna.

I also added three gallons and an arrow crab 😂 I’m considering putting a Jewel Damsel or Royal Gramma.

Update: The fish died, the crab partook.

We have hella microfauna.

I also added three gallons and an arrow crab 😂 I’m considering putting a Jewel Damsel or Royal Gramma.

I think that might be a little small for a Royal Gramma. I’ve heard them do fine in nanos of 20-30 gallons, but a pico is a different story.

I think that might be a little small for a Royal Gramma. I’ve heard them do fine in nanos of 20-30 gallons, but a pico is a different story.
I was looking for a super small one to grow out. But I decided a Jewel Damsel is probably a better fit. I didn’t realize how big the grammas got until I saw them. But I brought home a Jewel Damsel today and he’s a little smaller than my thumbBBD5DC7C-5177-4FEB-BB09-B9D6323EAEBC.jpeg
And this is a 5.5 gallon for reference

Update Photo:
C419AA68-9CBB-4447-A653-331BB8BCF777.jpeg
Lots of weed corals and a lot more rock was added. I’ve got TONS of copepods and some amphipods. Corral one is growing in nicely. I’d like to get some montis, shrooms, zoas and acans. But before then I’ll have to clear out some of the weed corals :)

I got a better light, obviously more rock and some pest corals. Everything is growing so much I’ve gotta chop it up and rehome a lot of stuff. The jewel damsel passed away during a power outage :( I’m most likely going to get just a domino damsel or a yellow tail damsel. Just to have some movement. I’ve also got a cowry shell and a small bumblebee snail that hitchhiked in on some rock. I’ve noticed a ton of sponge species as well within the rock. I’m really happy with it so far even though I have kind of strayed from the biotope concept. But I would like the tank to be dominated by Caribbean species once I get the majority of weed corals removed and safely rehomed :)

Back