Building a Sump for Existing Setup (non reef ready tank 29g)

keviningeorgia

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello,

Any suggestions on how about to build a sump for my 29g? I was going to get a 10 gallon tank and make the partitions with some extra acrylic I have after making my lid . I don't know why but it seems confusing on what I need for upper tank side. The below stuff seems to be pretty easy to grasp.

Thanks for any help in advance

Is your 29 already drilled?

Regarding the sump, be aware that silicone does not form a strong bond with acrylic. I made my first diy sump with acrylic dividers and one of them eventually let go due to water pressure from the adjacent chamber when I drained a chamber for cleaning. I use glass now and have never had a problem. You can get window glass for cheap at Lowe's. They'll even cut it for you for free.

If you do want to go with the acrylic since you already have some just make sure to apply a substantial bead of silicone from both sides.

One item on my seemingly eternal list of things to do in this hobby is to buy a sump baffle kit for a 60g tank I have and make it into a sump. There are quite a few options to buy baffles as a kit and put together your own nearly-custom sump. This is the route I'm looking at because I've never had great results cutting acrylic. That is a user error issue I'm sure but it's still true. It costs more than buying just the acrylic and cutting it yourself but for me it's worth the extra money.

I have a 20L with a baffle kit still in the box if your interest. Just send me a message.

Is your 29 already drilled?

Regarding the sump, be aware that silicone does not form a strong bond with acrylic. I made my first diy sump with acrylic dividers and one of them eventually let go due to water pressure from the adjacent chamber when I drained a chamber for cleaning. I use glass now and have never had a problem. You can get window glass for cheap at Lowe's. They'll even cut it for you for free.

If you do want to go with the acrylic since you already have some just make sure to apply a substantial bead of silicone from both sides.
The problem is it isn't already drilled and drilling on an existing tank sounds nightmarish. Perhaps I may be best just upgrading to larger tank reef ready and get that built then move everything into it after a nice cycling?

The problem is it isn't already drilled and drilling on an existing tank sounds nightmarish. Perhaps I may be best just upgrading to larger tank reef ready and get that built then move everything into it after a nice cycling?

That's probably the easier option if you're not comfortable drilling. If you transfer all the rock, substrate (after a good cleaning), and filtration you probably wouldn't even need to wait for a cycle. It's possible to drill though if you just drain the water to below where you plan on making the holes, put a towel down, and have a helper spray some freshwater while you drill. Then plumb and fill back up.

Another option is a hang on overflow box that uses a u-tube to maintain a siphon. No drilling required. There's also videos of how to make one out of PVC pipes.They're a bit finicky to get started though and run the risk of losing the siphon if too much air gets in.

Yeah it’s really not worth all the headache. Been down that route and after all the wasted time you just end up with what you should have in the first place. So just buy a reef ready tank or buy a tank and drill it for overflow.

Back