Redundancy/Safeguard

k3nnyp

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm about to add a 3rd safeguard into my heaters and I'm curious what redundancy reefers add into their tanks. Here are the top list I can think of ATM.

1. Heaters - 2 in DT, 2 in Sump. Currently controlled by APEX with built-in heater controller as ceiling temp safeguard. I'm going to add in to each of these an INKbird controller, primarily to reduce the switching on my Apex outlet. Heater will continue to be a safeguard and my APEX will be the second safeguard preventing am overheat and alerting on under temp. This will also add a readable temperature probe to my sump which I don't currently have.

2. Two Return Pumps

3. Multiple power heads in DT

4. Leak detector - Turns off RTN Pump, Skimmer, ATO, UV pump, Carbon Reactor and DOS

5. ATO - Taboo but I have this hard lined to my RODI. Manual float stop in the event 24v valve breaks in the open position. Manual inline leak detector that closes valve if water is on floor. Off if HIGH float is triggered or Apex Leak detected.

6. Skim Locker - Skimmer off if full

TODO List

1. Plug my UV into APEX and turn off when UV Pump isn't running. It's in the basement.

2. Leak detector in basement ( at least it's unfinished but that should soon change )

3. Low Water Float

4. Low Water Float for Salt Water Resevoir for DOS

The only true redundancy I have is in heaters. I have the main heat controlled by internal thermostats as well as my Apex. That way if one of those fails, my heaters won't cook the tank. I also have a smaller heater in the main tank because I've only got a single return pump. My thinking is that if the return pump cuts off, I'll still have some heat in the main tank since the majority of the heaters are in the sump. I have backup return pumps in case of an emergency (or cleaning) but I only run one at a time.

I have redundant systems in some areas. But, I do not keep heaters in my DT, only in my sump. But I keep spares on the shelf in the fishroom just in case. My temperature is monitored via APEX, Seneye, and electronic Wi-Fi and finally with old fashioned glass. Generator for power outages. Bubblers for every system in case. Salt checked by Hanna checkers and APEX. Trident and Hanna kits for levels along with Seneye for pH. UV controlled by APEX. Skimmers have external buckets with level sensors to cut off to prevent overflow. ATO with Apex sensors manual fill from a hose to RoDI water station and apex controlled fill also possible, just slower. For pumps and flow, MP40s, Nero’s and Abyzz all on backups. I have two systems just in case. And use leak detectors under main display, under sump, under secondary system, under frag and under water station controlled by APEX. When you have had tank failures, leak detectors are absolutely necessary for peace of mind.

+1 "When you have had tank failures, leak detectors are absolutely necessary"

My sump area below the tank has a floor drain also. Currently it just goes into my unfinished basement and the plumbing isn't complete but it at least gets the water off of my main floor.

Looks like you have most of the critical systems addressed. Dual pumps, multiple heaters, and multiple/emergency overflows would be at the top of my list. Having a independent/internal heater controllers is a really good idea so that the Apex alone cannot cook your tank if it fails on. I would make add similar safeguards for PH (if you're running CaRx) and lighting if the lights are hot enough to cook your tank. For lighting, you could even put them on a timer outlet to cut power after your controller ramped down to zero.

I've got a 2nd drain on the overflow and my heater plugs into a auto aqua smart plug. Really considering just removing the heater though, at least until next winter. We keep our house at 74-76 this time of year.

I plan to add leak detection somehow at some point and ph monitoring would be nice.

My dosing is disabled if pH is above 8.4. I wish I had this set when my jebao doser dosing kh stuck on.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

So far-
-Herbie overflows, with redundancy pipe
-all pumps & power heads are DC & on a battery backup
-dual heaters, in sump, monitored by Apex
-overflow pan under sump
-overflow sensors in sump pan & monitored by Apex
-skimmer overflows into medical vacuum container with float valve, which shuts off air supply to skimmer when full.
-Tunze ATO!
-return pump flow sensor, monitored by Apex (shuts off UV if flow stops also).
-Apex (modem & router also) is on a UPS. 1 power bar is not on a ups to detect power failure (non-critical devices only) so Apex can send an email of power failure detected, assuming internet is still up.

-Apex (modem & router also) is on a UPS. 1 power bar is not on a ups to detect power failure (non-critical devices only) so Apex can send an email of power failure detected, assuming internet is still up.

Nice idea.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I don’t run an apex but keep my heaters on inkbird controllers have been running great with an aqua top and generally holds tank to a 1 degree variance.

Huge supporter of inkbird incredible cooking therms too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back