Red Burrowing Crab Problem

Mackey

Market
Reaction score
Went to my LFS a couple of days ago and saw a really cool crab, and didn't do enough research and bought him. after putting it in my tank I read that they need air much like fiddler crabs, but there is no way I can get a spot in for him to go up and get air. Can't return him cause the store I got him from didn't have a spot for him to come up for air either. so he's screwed both ways. wondering if I can catch him every couple of days and let him walk around on top of the tank lid or something for a couple of mins, any other suggestions would be great. Thx!

what size is the tank? seems like a lot of work over time to keep up with. maybe build like a ramp or a ladder (out of eggcrate) for it to get surface access? it doesn't seem ideal tho for the crab long term.

75 gallon, I know it would be very tedious to keep, but I can't give him back, since it would mean he would die in their tanks as well I'll try ladder idea, thx!

This doesn’t really seem to be that difficult of an issue. Maybe you could add a piece of rock to one of your existing rock structures so that it’s a protrusion just above the waterline. Or cut a piece of egg crate and stick it up against the back wall. Either one of these solutions would allow that crab to get up to the surface and spend a little time breathing some fresh air. No need to go digging around to try to catch this guy he’ll be much happier about getting fresh air if he does it on his own terms.

This doesn’t really seem to be that difficult of an issue. Maybe you could add a piece of rock to one of your existing rock structures so that it’s a protrusion just above the waterline. Or cut a piece of egg crate and stick it up against the back wall. Either one of these solutions would allow that crab to get up to the surface and spend a little time breathing some fresh air. No need to go digging around to try to catch this guy he’ll be much happier about getting fresh air if he does it on his own terms.
Can you imagine being snatched up by a giant monster every few days? Not sure if crabs get stressed, but damn... that would be stressful for them. LOL.

Can you imagine being snatched up by a giant monster every few days? Not sure if crabs get stressed, but damn... that would be stressful for them. LOL.
Well, I imagined it as being lifted by a benevolent god and giving life-giving air but to each his own I guess.😂

Back