Aquarium Murder mystery

Mackey

Market
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
My newly added hawkfish just died and I'm pretty devasted, this isn't the first time either, I've been having issues keeping newly added fish and inverts alive (especially those that live in the rockwork). So if you all could be most kind and put on your Poirot, Columbo, Monk, Holmes, Marple, (Or favorite detective of choice)'s hat and help me find out who is most likely responsible for these weird deaths.
Timeline:
Bought an already running tank, which came with fish (I sold them) but kept the hermit crab that came with ( 2", so pretty decent size)

Since I already had a large population of beneficial bacteria, I go and buy 2 Ocellaris clowns, Pistol shrimp, Yellow watchman Goby (not paired), Emerald Crab, and Camel Shrimp.

3 weeks later I find one clown staying in a corner, with a whitish belly and nipped fins (completely out of the blue) and dies that night, I assume that one clown didn't like the other and offed him.

1 week later I buy another clown (to see if those 2 just had compatibility issues) and Peppermint Shrimp, within 2 days Clown dies in the same way as other but takes longer.

3 weeks later I go buy Arrow Crab, and Royal Gramma

2 days later gramma flails wildly within the tank, mouth stuck open, and dies. (Sister said she saw arrow crab snap at him, but is unsure)

Got sick of buying fish and them dying so don't buy anything for 6-7 weeks, I then buy 1 Bangaii Cardinal and Chocolate Chip Starfish (both still alive and quite well).

1 week later and Arrow crab dies, (but there was a nitrite spike at the time so I blame that)

3 weeks later and buy Coral Beauty and 3 chromis (CB still alive and quite well, but has a small cut on it's fin, 2 chromis doing great, but one was hiding and had like dark spots on its head, dead within a day after I moved to QT tank, thought it was uronema or chromis bullying).

3 weeks later I buy a Red burrowing crab, Feather Duster and a Rose pink Urchin

5 weeks later I buy a One Spot Foxface and a Lawnmower blenny

Around 3 weeks later small pieces of red burrowing crab are found throughout the aquarium (but might have been molting not sure my brothers told me I was out on vacation)

2 weeks later I'm home and go buy a decorator crab, fighting conch and Flame Hawkfish, that day before even adding fish Lawnmower Blenny dies, their belly looks a little thin. no previous signs of downward behavior, exactly like all the other fish, large hermit at the scene of the crime biting at him cuts on his fins but not sure if thats scavengers .

2 days later Hawkfish dies, their belly was a little white and the hermit crab again was found at the scene of the crime.

So there it is folks.

The suspects are these

Tiger Pistol Shrimp: Likes to snap at things that come near their cave and constantly does this. never seen it attack anything and seems to just scare off intruders

Yellow Watchman Goby: Have seen him bite at fish and inflate his mouth but that is a very rare occurrence. is territorial and did sometimes chase lawnmower blenny.

Bangaii Cardinal: Just swims out in the open, doesn't do much, doubt it's the killer.

Chromis: Like to pick on each other but never have gone after other fish.

Hermit Crab: always seen at the scene of the crime "cleaning up" but seems pretty peaceful.

One spot Foxface: Very Docile, but raises it spines when fish swim near.

Coral Beauty: pretty much oblivious to everything else in the tank, besides the Foxface who he swims with. has a small cut on anal fin.

Clownfish: Really, Really small, barely an inch, but is suspected of killing their mates, but ever since mates died, sleeps at the top right by Hob filter.

Spider decorater Crab: slow and just got, might be doing something, although he seems too lazy.

Emerald Crab: He is like dime-sized and I know, he's a he so might be aggressive although I've never seen him do anything against other fish or inverts.

Disease: this is a good possibility except that fish seem to have been attacked instead of sick, (due to a lot of small, rock dwelling fish and inverts dying)

Bad Water quality: I don't think its this one either because I change water and test water consistently and always is good.

Any help would be literally a godsend, cause this has given me and my family so much heartbreak (the flame hawkfish and the lawnmower blenny were my mom's and brothers favorite fish respectively).
Thanks so much for reading this long post!

Hey,
forgot to add a few things,
almost all the fish that survive are the ones who swim in the upper or middle part of the tank,
I have Live Rock, so maybe a bad hitchhiker keeps knocking my fish off,
I have seen the yellow watchman goby grab a small hermit crab and take it to its cave.
I also got a Neon goby, bought with CB and had for 2 weeks and liked to hang out by the silicone siding near the bottom, disappeared, assumed he jumped because I had some holes in my Lid.

a 2" hermit crab? what part of him is 2"? that's fairly sizable and likely is large enough to grab sleeping fish. Hermit crabs will grab anything they can get hold of - including fish. Its kinda of rare that they actually get hold of a healthy fish - but they almost always try.

My guess (and it's currently a guess) - it's one of the crabs - grab it, put it in your sump - see what happens.

The clowns - could simply be the other clown.

a 2" hermit crab? what part of him is 2"? that's fairly sizable and likely is large enough to grab sleeping fish. Hermit crabs will grab anything they can get hold of - including fish. Its kinda of rare that they actually get hold of a healthy fish - but they almost always try.

My guess (and it's currently a guess) - it's one of the crabs - grab it, put it in your sump - see what happens.

The clowns - could simply be the other clown.

Thanks for your response! The shell he is in is like 2 inches and he looks like he fills it. And he is pretty old. Might be one of the Crabs but it's something that is incredibly aggressive and will attack anything that is new to the tank. pretty sure is not the clown, he's baby sized and never goes near the rocks, and never has shown aggression.

That is a fairly extensive list of purchases with quite a lot of inverts. How about a little info on the system?
Size
Sump or AIO
Equipment
How much and how often do you feed
Where did the live rock come from

With predation there is usually consumption. Fights for territory normally end with what you are seeing, unless the fish manages to get away and dies of stress and wounds.

Sorry, posted this somewhere else with equipment and forgot to include it here.
It's a 75-gallon Fowlr system
Its filtration is 2 Hob filters: one rated for 75-gallon tank, the other for 55, 1 Hob skimmer: Macro aqua m-50, 2 powerheads, and tons of live rock (I would guess 75 to 100 pounds of it.
I do not have a rodi filter because no coral.
I feed twice a day, one is something protein-filled, ala Mysis shrimp, and then something more fibrous, like nori.
Live rock I have no clue although it does look like it came from the ocean, filled with all sorts of hitchhikers (none of them so far harmful).
Hermit crab has been seen eating the fish after they died but I assumed that was scavenging.

are you making your own water? other than that ginormous hermit, not sure any other livestock is the culprit.

since we are just talking about fish, what are your parameters as far as nitrates and salinity? I assume based on the # of weeks you had this running after picking it up, ammonia and nitrites is not the culprit.

By making my own water do you mean mixing it? I do that.
Full Params of the tank are these:
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 81 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-15
Ph: 8.0

Thanks for any help to the people who are responding, I'm insanely bereft at losing my most expensive and loved fish (flame hawkfish) and would do anything to get my tank mortality rate down.

By making my own water do you mean mixing it? I do that.
Full Params of the tank are these:
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 81 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-15
Ph: 8.0
yeah, those #'s look fine. I know this is kind of a silly question, but I assume your water is going through an RODI? Do you know if your county uses chloramine to treat the water?

Are you shacking the fish in the bag like the little girl from finding Nemo?

cause when this started you said (Bought an already running tank, which came with fish (I sold them)

yeah, those #'s look fine. I know this is kind of a silly question, but I assume your water is going through an RODI? Do you know if your county uses chloramine to treat the water?
It's not a silly question, I don't have RODI water. I read that you do not need RODI water when doing a fowlr system. I heard that it might affect inverts but they are all doing great even the ones that are known to be sensitive. I do dose prime before putting water in though.

I literally just saw my big hermit nip at the Foxface for going close to him. never seen him do this before.:mad:

just about any crab will grab just about anything withing claws reach.

I don't think you have an unknown predator (like a Bobbitt worm) cause you keep finding the dead fish.

To be honest though - with all the additions you've been doing - it's very possible you have a disease or parasite running through the tank.

Watch who is eating and how much very carefully - and watch for weird breathing, cloudy eyes, weird looking fins, skinny but eating (this is a big one IMO - and easy to treat).

I also am not sure about you having measurable nitrites - unless you have a huge bioload or a large spike, I don't believe you should ever be able to measure nitrites in a SW tank.

Slightly low salinity for inverts. Very high temp IMO. But i doubt those are the culprit. Nitrate is reasonable/no-issue.

I can rule out most of your livestock as the culprit as they werent there since the beginning, and you are having repeated symptoms/indicators since day 0. ...unless there is a copycat killer of a previous now-dead killer. Lol

Joking aside: what species of hermit? Upload a photo of his face/claws if you dont know. Different hermits have generally different temperaments.

My primary guess is disease, parasites, or... you missed another option... a pest. There are non-disease non-parasitic pests that are predatory and reclusive. Examples include various worm species such as the dreaded bobbit worm. You could have something hiding in the shadows.

I'd put a decent size shrimp in the corner away from the rock work on fishing string or a skewer... Maybe you have an aggressive emerald crab or Gorilla crab. do it at night and check it every 30 minutes or so... I had an emerald crab that would get my lower level fish... And eat em..

Or it is your original clown... Unless I missed that he/she passed too

Back