Niger Trigger issues

The27turk

Supporting
Reaction score
Recently had my fish in a 55 gallon getting prepped to set up their new 220 gallon tank. Stock list is as follows

XL Sailfin Tang
M yellow tang
L hippo tang
L Powder Blue Tang
S rabbit fish
Xl rabbit fish
L Formosa wrasse
L flame angel
M coral beauty
M black clown
M/L Niger Trigger

Since setting the 220 up and moving everyone over all my tangs and both rabbit fish stay to the left of the tank. The trigger has made home in a rock in the center of the tank and has been showing high levels of aggression to the hippo tang. The tangs haven’t eaten much at all and seem stressed. We moved all the fish over around 1 AM Monday morning. Is this something that should work itself out? Should I remove the trigger completely? They all got along just fine while in the 55 gallon with no issues and were all eating wonderfully. How many days should it take for everyone to go back to normal? I’ve been in the hobby a bit with a good bit of different tanks/stock lists but I’m at a loss here. First time keeping a trigger.

I have heard of nigers 'snapping' after hitting a certain size, after which nothing can change their behavior. I would personally remove the trigger and either stay triggerless or add one from the Xanthicthys genus; no other triggers are safe. All triggers are aggressive and territorial by nature, but the Xanths (bluethroat, redtail) are significantly less aggressive IME. They also have smaller mouths and less sharp teeth, which is a plus. Never heard of any Xanthicthys 'snapping' besides one single case recently, and we weren't given any details or pictures so I'm doubtful.

Back