New copperband not welcome by chocolate tang... Plan of attack

Jikkermanccini

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a CBB on Saturday to hopefully help with an Aiptasia explosion. I have bird wrasses, so Berghias are out of the question for this system. I have an established chocolate tang in this tank that has never bothered my other additions, including the aforementioned bird wrasses (same color scheme) or my redtail trigger (similar color/same shape), but has it out for this new butterfly. Every day I let the butterfly out of the acclimation box, it explores about 15 minutes before the tang finds it and it returns to the box. The tang doesn't notice the CBB through the acclimation box, only when it's out.
I am very lucky that the CBB has eaten prepared foods for me, so it won't starve or anything, but it won't do anything for the Aiptasia in a box. The tang is far too fast to catch, even at night.

Has anyone had the same problem? I hate to see the CBB hovering in the corner while the tang bullies it all day. Should I let them duke it out? I could add a new tang to distract the resident bully, but then I'd just have another stressed fish. Any input greatly appreciated. Have a great day & God bless.

I definitely wouldn’t let them duke it out. Copper band has no chance and if further stressed might stop eating all together. Another tang would at least have a chance. Best bet would be to set up a trap for the tang. They are usually pretty easy to trick into a trap

I've found all my tangs very easy to catch when baiting the trap with Nori in a plastic mesh mounted inside with magnets. You're welcome to borrow my trap complete w/mesh and magnets.

I've found all my tangs very easy to catch when baiting the trap with Nori in a plastic mesh mounted inside with magnets. You're welcome to borrow my trap complete w/mesh and magnets.
Thank you for the offer! Not sure I can get down to Lawrenceville any time soon though. Can you share some pictures of the trap? I may be able to replicate it with materials I have on hand.

Hi Steve, I’ve been trying to catch a foxface, I think my trap may be small, I would like borrow it when it is available, please let me know. Thanks

I always do the mirror trick for a weekend when I add new fish. Everyone attacks their reflection for 48 hours, and when you remove the mirrors, they are too relieved to care about the new addition.

Update.
I've removed the acclimation box entirely. My attempts to trap the tang ended in tapping my trigger, so I don't think I'll have luck there. I instead blocked off some of the tang's passageways inside the rockwork to give the CBB some peace. The tang went ham on it for about a day and is now completely ignoring the CBB, but CBB is still in the corner. Crossing my fingers it adjusts.

Back