RBTA - any way to remove ?

Milangupta

Supporting
Reaction score
Made a mistake and paying for it now :-(
3 RBTAs became 9 in a matter of weeks ! This one is roaming the tank .. decided to settle onto my clove colony.
Any recommendations on what to do ? Intervene or not ?
How do folks get an anemone off ? Do you just grab it and pull it off (wearing gloves) ?

rbta-cloves.jpg

Attachments

• rbta-cloves.jpg
    rbta-cloves.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 1
I remove em slowly by using my finger to gently lift it off the rock little by little. I wear those blue nitrile gloves so it is soft to touch on them.

A very good method is to get a PVC pipe barely larger around than the nem with an elbow at the end. The pipe should be about 2-3x longer than the nems' column. A sponge is then applied around the bottom edge so the nem can't escape, and the pipe attached somehow to the rock with the elbow facing *away* from the light. The nem will climb into the tube within a day or two, at which point you can remove the tube.
A second common method is blasting the nem with a power head until it lets go, usually within a day... However, this can send it flying somewhere else so it's important to keep an eye on the tank when doing this method.

I have a few similar (small) dividing anemones. Several seem quite happy to have settled in the middle of two rocks covered with Zoas. I’m just watching with curiosity….. a couple of these anemones went for a swim about and were julianned by the powerheads….ouch.

I have a few similar (small) dividing anemones. Several seem quite happy to have settled in the middle of two rocks covered with Zoas. I’m just watching with curiosity….. a couple of these anemones went for a swim about and were julianned by the powerheads….ouch.
I also let nature take its course. The anemone moved after 2 days and the clove polyps didn’t seem to have been affected at all. Mine really seem to be looking for brighter light , ie headed to the top of the tank, even though I am running with over 150 par at the top ..

Back