RBTA wants to be on the back of my rock structure

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I got an RBTA from a friend whose huge one split. I put it in the tank and set it roughly where I wanted it to be and it seemed to settle in. Over night though it moved about six inches over and around to the back side of the rock structure where I can barely see it. I tried to pull it off and move it, but the rock has so many nooks and crannies, there's no way to get under it and pry it off. It there any way to coax it to move around to the front?

You might want to make it uncomfortable where it is, maybe a small power head pointed in its general direction, or the output from the return pump pointed its way? Not a ton of flow, just enough to make it move, maybe to a better spot. This is just a guess. I have never done this.

How long has it been in the tank? IME, the tend to move to shaded areas to get used to the tank. Dave's suggestion will help to get it to move, But, if it's newly added, I would let it be for a while....

I find that whenever I put an anemone in my system it will always move to a secluded spot for a day or two and then come out to a more permanent location. While they do not always settle where you want them to, rest assured that it will go to a location where it is getting plenty of light and flow... it is unlikely to remain behind the rocks for too long.

Once they move to a spot of your liking, I find that it is helpful to feed them readily as this HELPS keep them where you want them. While the nem's do not have a "brain" they may be less inclined to move if one of their needs are being met (food).

It's only been in four days, so I'll give it a bit. If it doesn't move, then I'll try the powerhead. The problem is my rock structure is pretty much a ridge in the center of the tank, so there is just as much light and flow on the back as the front, so it could be happy back there forever.

JeffMuse;617823 wrote: I find that whenever I put an anemone in my system it will always move to a secluded spot for a day or two and then come out to a more permanent location. While they do not always settle where you want them to, rest assured that it will go to a location where it is getting plenty of light and flow... it is unlikely to remain behind the rocks for too long.

Once they move to a spot of your liking, I find that it is helpful to feed them readily as this HELPS keep them where you want them. While the nem's do not have a "brain" they may be less inclined to move if one of their needs are being met (food).

+1. Mine moved across the tank the first day, moved within a few inches the second, and is now settled in. They like to keep their foot rooted in a protected spot and depending on where they are, stretch out for the light. It will move on its own, I wouldn't force it anywhere.

One other option would be to shade the area where the anemone is now so that it will either migrate to another area with greater light or it will s-t-r-e-t-c-h itself to go where the light is and become viewable.

Some of it you just kinda have to live with. I find that when Nems move to the rear of the tank, they often grow out in a few months to where you can see them pretty much anywhere.

Back