The journey my free piece of birdsnest from the previous event has been on

Hunna

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Prior to getting this thing, I hadn’t had much luck with any kind of stick. I’m chalking it up to my tank still being “new” since it just hit the 1 year mark back in March. This piece, however, was doing great since getting it at the fragging event. It was “bushier” than ever, had new growth going, overall looked really healthy

2 Fridays ago, I took a trip to visit my brother in Birmingham. I stopped by the house after work to grab a few things I had forgotten, and noticed something was off with my tank, but didn’t have the time to do anything about it. I had done a water change that Tuesday, so figured it couldn’t be “that bad”, and headed out.

I came home Sunday afternoon and everything in my tank was pissed off, closed up, and some even dead. It seemed like a few snails had died and started producing ammonia. More than what my little 25g was capable of handling while I was away, and caused a chain reaction. I spent that day and the following 2, doing 25% water changes and testing. After 3 days of that, things seemed to have settled back down. Almost everything is back fully open, or almost there.

I thought I had lost this birdsnest completely; but life is crazy resilient. This first picture was taken April 21st. 37FAE601-22A9-4745-9617-A72CE35BA665.jpeg
This one was taken on April 28th
F3312CBC-9C31-4A18-BF01-CB04D9E30E95.jpeg

And I took this one just a few minutes ago.
E60BD9A1-AED7-49EB-9A1D-0483C0F08AA9.jpeg

You can even see how much happier the pandora palys are after just 4 days of things being back to normal. I was going to try cutting off the top part and just restarting with a little nub. But after seeing how fast this piece is bouncing back, I think I’m going to leave it as is and track it’s progression.

That particular strain of birdsnest is extremely resilient. The colony came from a small frag given to me by @bhodges82 a few years ago as my first piece of SPS. Over the years I had a few pieces fall off and thrive on the sand bed. It was always nice to be able to snatch a small colony off the sand bed and give them away.
PXL_20230228_213727331.jpg

BN can be soooooo weird... to the point where I don't even try anymore haha.. I think they are cool corals but I've lost so many over the last 2 decades of reefing

Nice recovery! Birdsnest really is a whacky coral. The frag I got at the swap has already tripled in size lol. I actually already fragged it again to get a nice shaped piece to put in my display. This is only about a third of it:
IMG_20230517_200157.jpg

19BA5EEA-14EE-4D59-9A5C-AE94044B3D9C.jpeg

This was taken a few days ago. This thing has almost fully recovered in ~month. The backside was completely white skeleton, and now it’s almost fully filled in as well.

Back