A friendly reminder

During my first week of work at a lfs, I grabbed a piece of LR with some unseen Paly's on it. Naturally, I wasn't wearing any gloves, since I was working, and I couldn't see the Paly's, which ended up getting squashed between my index finger and the rock. Over the next week my finger swelled up to about three times the normal size. It blistered up pretty rough, and dried out like no tomorrow. This actually began something of a chain reaction, after the index finger dried out and began to crack, it spread to other regions of the hand and arm. I believe that the toxin itself has long since passed through my system, however, it began a bout with eczema like symptoms that I have never had before. Palytoxin is no bueno.

I feel pretty paranoid now but I'm glad I read this before I go crazy moving all the rocks from two tanks into one. I managed to cut my hand while fighting the plumbing on my 90 gallon set up. I made the mistake of putting in new live rock and pulling existing rock from my smaller tanks.

I am not in horrible pain but the cut from the plumbing was definitely aggravated a bit by being in the water. Time to check out the gloves at Lowes!

Back