Aquarium Friendly Vet for Cipro?

Grievs

Supporting
Reaction score
I've got a Magnifica anemone on the way and they're super sensitive to bacterial infections and the common treatment is Cipro.

Just saw that Cipro is no longer available without an Rx as of just this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my Mag won't arrive infected, but would like to have a backup plan just in case.

Any vets in the area reef/aquarium friendly and willing to write my anemone a prescription? (what a sentence, lol!)

My dad is a vet in Roswell and may be willing to write you a scrip... He's done it for me a few times over the years. He'll be in the clinic tomorrow, so I can give you his number.

Quick word of advice, good feeding is also really beneficial for sick mags. Amino acids and vitamin supplements like Selcon are very valuable; in my experience, almost every fish disease I've had has been curable with good feeding of whole foods (bones, guts, brains).
I recall OrionN on R2R, who pioneered the Cipro methods, having second thoughts about using it as a routine treatment. I don't remember all details though.
Keep us updated when the mag arrives!

Not knowing what cipro was, I looked I up. Granted there is no mention of aquarium usage, but for people, yea, looking at the warnings, I wouldn't sell it to you without a prescription!
This is not to say I wouldn't use it if given the opportunity too.

What is Cipro?​

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone (flor-o-KWIN-o-lone) antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body.
Cipro is used to treat different types of bacterial infections. Cipro is also used to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax or certain types of plague.
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause serious or disabling side effects that may not be reversible.
Cipro should be used only for infections that cannot be treated with a safer antibiotic.

Warnings​

Cipro can cause serious side effects, including tendon problems, nerve damage, serious mood or behavior changes, or low blood sugar.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have: headache, hunger, irritability, numbness, tingling, burning pain, confusion, agitation, paranoia, problems with memory or concentration, thoughts of suicide, or sudden pain or movement problems in any of your joints.
In rare cases, ciprofloxacin may cause damage to your aorta, which could lead to dangerous bleeding or death. Get emergency medical help if you have severe and constant pain in your chest, stomach, or back.
You may not be able to use Cipro if you have a muscle disorder. Tell your doctor if you have a history of myasthenia gravis.

Yeah, hoping that the anemone doesn't need treatment at all and some high-quality feeding will be my first step either way. @Jikkermanccini I'll reach out if it looks like I might need to begin treatment. Appreciate it.

Here's some more aquarium related info on the proven protocols for treating anemones;

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

It's also been used to help stop STN/RTN of SPS;

I definitely understand the dangers of antibiotic over-use, and would over-expose the water to light for a few days outside before dumping to ensure UV broke down any remaining cipro.

I don’t want to be stepping on Jikker’s Pops business opportunities, but I just had a traveling vet come over to my house to see a dying cat.
This vet takes care of fish. Koi pond fish mostly.
You may have seen the traveling van around town.
Here is her business card. Checkout her e-mail address.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 19
Could not help but comment with a little public service announcement here... please don't a veterinarian in the dangerous position to prescribe medications for your aquarium livestock if that is not part of their practice. In Georgia, it is unlawful for a veterinarian to release, prescribe, and/or dispense any prescription drugs without having established a valid veterinary/client/patient relationship. You could be asking them to put their livelihood in jeopardy if the state board (veterinary and /or pharmacy boards) finds out....

Back