New to the Forum - And, Noise!

Hi, welcome back!
It's hard to see (iPad mini) but do you have your return pump in the same compartment as your skimmer?
If drain falls above the water line using a sock will help the noise a lot also "time" quiets it down as sludge/slime builds up in the lines it makes a huge difference.
Check our FS For "Getting Out" thread by Sterling. He recently had 3 Vortech MP 40 esw which is what you will want. One was new for $375! Echotech equipment and CS is awesome, I'm a "sold" fan! Keep your eye out for an Apex, you will really be impressed with controlling EVERYTHING on your set up with your smart phone! You can get the best of a lot of things here on the FS if you don't need it NOW!
Love your cube! I had one just like it but went with a 4' long in my new house because of space/location.
Keep the Pic coming.

Return pump and Skimmer are in same compartment. Mike (guy I bought rock from tonight) said to get the Skimmer in the first compartment or get a top off system or else the Skimmer won't work right.

Vortech... Seems like what I will end up with. Will go check out the FS area. I have heard about the Apex. Daddy like.

My cube? Mine is 90 gallon 48"x18"x24"

I had a similar sump.
I took the top off.
Ran a fllex hose into a filter sock below the water line.
Put the skimmer in the first sump because the water level was consistent. A skimmer needs a consistent water level to operate properly.
The second chamber housed the return pump.

I also ran two media reactors that hung on the front. I later rested them on the floor of the stand.

Automatic top off is a must. For an all in one package that is pretty much fail safe is the avast marine automatic top off kit. You install a clear cylinder in the sump (this judges the water level by an air bubble), that clear cylinder is hooked to a tube which is connected to a switch box. This switch box has an electrical outlet on it. You will plug a pump into it (this pump is placed in a vessel of fresh rodi water for topping off the sump). Once the air bubble drops, the switch turns the pump on. Topping off the sump.

Sounds like a lot but its simple.

watch

Well, the sump I have doesn't have enough room on the left side for the skimmer and the sock with it's mount (which you couldn't use it without it). So ... I think I might be on to the top off option. I like the idea of this anyway.

I think I will start another thread for that to ask opinions and opinions since I already have two different ones! : )

Craig

Somebody may need to come over and help you out with set up. I do love your budget brother

zboyblue;985188 wrote: Return pump and Skimmer are in same compartment. Mike (guy I bought rock from tonight) said to get the Skimmer in the first compartment or get a top off system or else the Skimmer won't work right.

Vortech... Seems like what I will end up with. Will go check out the FS area. I have heard about the Apex. Daddy like.

My cube? Mine is 90 gallon 48"x18"x24"

Yes, it doesn't surprise me that Mike told you he probably read my post (right Mike?)
It looked wrong in the pic but couldn't be sure where your hoses were going and I was surprised no one had mentioned it.
The Tunze is the best a ATO, IMO.

Well, I can't say I would turn that down! I'm pretty proud of myself so far, and I don't mind a few "learning experiences" here and there. I don't quite feel like I am freaking out yet but certainly don't want to do something that causes me to tear the thing down again. I KNOW I am going to need help when it's time for corals. I don't know my head from a hole in the ground. I think it may be a while.

That being said, if you feel froggy one of these days you are welcome to come over! ;-)

Craig

Make sure you read the instructions for your skimmer and check the optimal operating water level. I have a Vertex Omega and it says that it works best in 7.5" - 8". Also, my sump was very noisy as the water entered from the tank into the sump. I had installed a ball valve so I could cut it off if I was doing any cleaning. I found that if I closed the valve a little thus restricting the amount of water coming into the sump it was very quite. Now it sounds like a light trickle instead of Niagara Falls.

Back