New to the Forum - And, Noise!

zboyblue

Market
Reaction score
Hello there. I am Craig and am new to the forum. I think I may have had a membership years ago but am not sure. But, here I am.

I have had a Biocube for about 3 years and had a 54 corner before that for about 12 years (in two different homes). The 54 sprung a leak and I bought a biocube to rescue the situation and never replaced the 54. I wish I would have, I didn't enjoy the Biocube, too small.

I just moved to a new place and the biocube is still at the old house. I have been needing to move it but wanted to buy a new tank for the new place instead. I had to "get over" spending the money (get used to the idea, talk myself into it, etc) so I JUST bought a new setup a few days ago (the old house is not yet listed for sale but will be soon which is why I pushed myself to "go ahead").

I bought a 90 gallon tank with a custom built stand and canopy that I LOVE ... It's what sold me the tank! I went "all out" (So says my credit card company ... I pay it off monthly though so don't worry, I didn't go into debt for this ;-). I bought the stand, canopy and tank, two Radion XR30w Pro lights with the controller, sump, pump, heater, and PSK-150 Skimmer. Maybe more, that's all that either comes to mind or that I can easily lay my eyes on model numbers for.

I got it setup and in place, and leveled, then realized that I should have painted the back. So I tipped the tank forward and let it rest on towels between it and the front of the stand and painted the back with black paint using a brush (Wanted to spray but wasn't going to do that in the house). Had to do 2 or 3 coats to get it completely covered, dry time, etc. That took a while. Got it back in place and started filling it with tap water .. don't freak out on me yet, let me explain. 1. I have well water so no chlorine. 2. The guy that sold me the system said that the first fill up would be ok with well water but that I needed to use RO going forward. I bought an RO and a rolling trash can and would have used RO from the start but that is taking forever.

I got the lights hooked up and setup in the Ecosmart Live website .. HOW COOL! I can sit here and fiddle with my lights from the laptop across the room. So cool.

I got the pump and skimmer running and water levels adjusted (I think) and then I realized that this thing is noisy! It sounds like a waterfall, or a dishwasher running, or a washing machine draining, a basket of chicken frying, etc. I am fairly certain all the noise is coming from two things:

1. The sound of the noise of the water entering the sump (65%) (Chicken Frying)
2. The sound/vibration of the skimmer (35%) (Humming)

The hose coming from the tank to the sump lid is 1 1/4" black Lee's pond tubing. I had to use a 90 and a few fittings and the barb coming out of the sump lid because the hose is too rigid to have gone straight in. The hose is not "kinked" but it is certainly more oval shaped as it makes the turn to go into the 90. The bulkhead in the lid is only about an inch off the top of the filter material that lays on top of the tray. There is a LARGE volume of water coming into the sump out of that tube.

As for the skimmer, it has a plastic base and sits on the floor of the sump. My normal pump has rubber feet. It seems like that would help the skimmer to have had those.

So what do you guys think would be best to resolve this? My wife is out of town and doesn't even know the details of my purchase. I know that when she gets back she will NOT be happy with the noise in our living room (and neither am I).

Looking forward to REALLY getting back into this again! :-D

Craig

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/06/building-silent-reef/">http://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/06/building-silent-reef/</a>
[IMG]http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/">http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/</a>

Welcome Craig. Glad to have you join us. Post some pictures. That will help us spot a potential problem and well, we all like pictures. :)

Some people will use mouse pads under pumps to help with the vibration. Not sure how big the skimmer base is but that may be the ticket. Just be careful what material it is made of.

I used silicone trivets from Walmart to place under my return pump to silence it.

Put a coupling or bulkhead where the drain means the sump so you can add another (removable) pipe draining below the water line. That will reduce your drain sound significantly.

Thanks for the replies!

Link - wow, that's a lot of reading! Was very good info but didn't speak to limiting the noise in the sump (but I do want to determine what my flow is now based on pump and length of pipe and fittings)... Just to know/make sure it's good.

Skimmer - mouse pad is brilliant! Trivits sound awesome too. Did a search on the Walmart site. Will swing by there today for one or the other.

Sump pipe - what do you mean? You don't mean have the return water enter the sump "underwater" do you? (doesn't it need to fall above water to replenish oxygen?) doing something in the sump seems to make the most sense. I even thought of installing one of those rainwater shower heads in there haha, but all the holes would clog with stuff coming from the tank obviously.

The skimmer will oxygenate te water, definately drop the return pipe to about 1" below water surface

Just to make sure I understand....

Only because I have the Skimmer I can have the return enter underwater? If I didn't have the Skimmer I couldn't do that?

My return is into a bulkhead. The tray and filter material are above the water line. That complicates this theory. Thoughts?

Sorry I didn't mean return pipe, I meant drain pipe.

Also there maybe other ways of oxygenation but the skimmer is the best option. So
If you didn't have a skimmer, you would probably have to find another way.

I knew what you meant. :)

So what about what I said about the tray being above water? Not sure how to get the return below water unless I do filtration differently

I am not certain about your setup. May want to get someone else to chime in on this. I am still relatively new to this as well. :)

I run a sockless system where my filtration consists of a skimmer, 3 reactors, and some powerheads to keep it all stirred up. Both of my drain lines stop around 1" below the waterline.

I do think if the water is exiting the pipe above the waterline there will be little you can do about that noise

JDW;985074 wrote: I do think if the water is exiting the pipe above the waterline there will be little you can do about that noise

Yeah it needs to drain below the water line. I just have a coupling so I can remove the low drain pipe to take my filter sock out. Then I just slide it back in the coupling after I put the new sock in. If the bottom piece falls out of the coupling, no big deal, still drains into the sump. Just loudly.

I wouldn't worry too much about oxygenating. Good flow, as you should have anyway, will break the surface of the water and help you out there too. Skimmer obviously also.

Pure reef has a mouse pad type thing that is made for putting under your pumps. It's completely reef safe and you won't have to worry about anything breaking off. I've heard people using mouse pads before but I just don't trust it 100%...

tonymission;985079 wrote: Yeah it needs to drain below the water line. I just have a coupling so I can remove the low drain pipe to take my filter sock out. Then I just slide it back in the coupling after I put the new sock in. If the bottom piece falls out of the coupling, no big deal, still drains into the sump. Just loudly.

I wouldn't worry too much about oxygenating. Good flow, as you should have anyway, will break the surface of the water and help you out there too. Skimmer obviously also.

Pure reef has a mouse pad type thing that is made for putting under your pumps. It's completely reef safe and you won't have to worry about anything breaking off. I've heard people using mouse pads before but I just don't trust it 100%...

Agree. On all counts. But would add that in my opinion the best way to get oxygenation is to have your powerheads agitate the surface of the display tank which helps off gassing in the display.

I am going to head to the fish store for live rock and will ask about the sock filter. Don't know exactly what you are talking about but can imagine it. Will consider power heads while I'm at it. It's just money right? Haha

zboyblue;985090 wrote: I am going to head to the fish store for live rock and will ask about the sock filter. Don't know exactly what you are talking about but can imagine it. Will consider power heads while I'm at it. It's just money right? Haha

If that's your take then make sure to get a vortech or two. :)

Well, I was thinking about it. That lighting system being controlled from the Web is ridiculously cool. From what I understand the power heads will further simulate a thunderstorm? No idea what they cost but will look when I get there! :-D

Oh I saw the Drop cam button in the Web thing and thought that would be cool. Ordered one!

View attachment 56251View attachment 56252View attachment 56253
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
985108=56251-uploadfromtaptalk1410722822569.jpg
>
985108=56251-uploadfromtaptalk1410722822569.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1410722822569.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
985108=56252-uploadfromtaptalk1410722837261.jpg
>
985108=56252-uploadfromtaptalk1410722837261.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1410722837261.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
985108=56253-uploadfromtaptalk1410722847212.jpg
>
985108=56253-uploadfromtaptalk1410722847212.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1410722847212.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back