dreraglan

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Dre, I’m 24 and a grad student. I’m new to the aquarium game. I started my saltwater tank about a year and a half ago. I have a 40 breeder and I’m definitely hooked for life now. I came across the Atlanta Reef Club at the MACNA Aquatic Expo this weekend. If anyone has any tips for a new aquarium parent I’d love to hear it! Thanks, and I’m looking forward to getting more involved in the community!

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hey Dre! Welcome to the forum! We talked at the booth at MACNA. Let me know when you're up in the Duluth area and I'll hook you up with a frag or two.

Well I've got plenty of tips. Unfortunately some of them are a bit burnt because I didn't pay attention to Alk levels. It's a common issue and that leads me to my first reef-keeping tip. Stability is more important than any specific parameter. One of the most important pieces of equipment I've purchased that usually does not make the "must have" list would be a doser. I dosed manually for years and years and adding the dosing pump made a much bigger impact than I thought it would. (I don't really have burnt tips, it was a joke. It used to happen once in a while. Before I got a dosing pump.)

I was nice meeting you at the Show btw, I was having a blast. Welcome and keep posting any questions you might have, we're here to help.

Well I've got plenty of tips. Unfortunately some of them are a bit burnt because I didn't pay attention to Alk levels. It's a common issue and that leads me to my first reef-keeping tip. Stability is more important than any specific parameter. One of the most important pieces of equipment I've purchased that usually does not make the "must have" list would be a doser. I dosed manually for years and years and adding the dosing pump made a much bigger impact than I thought it would. (I don't really have burnt tips, it was a joke. It used to happen once in a while. Before I got a dosing pump.)

I was nice meeting you at the Show btw, I was having a blast. Welcome and keep posting any questions you might have, we're here to help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve been dosing manually so far but I’m going to look into buying a doser now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club! I'm a newer member as well, however I've been keeping tanks since I was a kid. Feel free to ask questions & dive into old threads for golden info.
Have a great day and God bless.

Stability is more important than any specific parameter.
Arguably the best piece of advice you will ever receive in this hobby. I'd argue a ATO is probably tied with a doser though.

Nothing good ever happens fast, and bad things happen really fast. Patience is key, and if things look okay keep your booger hooks out of the water and off of the LED controller.

Back