Nero 3 replacement.

Coraliscool

Supporting
Reaction score
What is a better DC replacement for a nero 3? I am looking for two smaller dc pumps for a 70 gallon cube to basically keep the sand busy. I want it controllable becuase it is near the bottom while the gyre does the top so they will be ran low power

I have a nero 3 that is just out of warranty. It has been a PIA with anytime a spec of sand is in it or it didnt get cleand meticulously it stopped. It is now to the point it wont run more than a day or two before locking up. I have done all the soaking and scrubbing i am willing to do. I have a 4 yr old amazon 9 dollar sun sun pump in my sump that has out performed it, and is still running today. And an ice cap gyre that is more than 3 years old that i have paid far less attention to.

I would like to be around 100 for two smaller dc controllable pumps. This experience with a more expensive solution has got me less excited about apending more when the cheap stuff has outlasted and out performed the expensive option.

Any ideas would be a blessing. I bought the nero without asking the club. I dont want another expensive peice of landfill art.

I've been quite happy with jebao pumps. Have yet to have one die on me. I have a single SLW-30 on one end of a standard 75g and it provides all the flow the tank needs right now. Very powerful. Various modes to choose from and a wide range of flow speed control. The only thing that has managed to lock it up is a cerith snail jammed in the blades. An slw-10 or slw-20 would probably be a good replacement for a Nero 3. And if you don't mind AliExpress you can get the newer ELW model for even cheaper which has flow control in 1% increments from 30% to 100%

Last edited:
@chaples55 do you have any experience with the ALW models that are app controlled? I didn’t even know that was a thing for jebaos until I went to alixpress to look up the slw models!

@chaples55 do you have any experience with the ALW models that are app controlled? I didn’t even know that was a thing for jebaos until I went to alixpress to look up the slw models!
I do not. I stayed away from any jebao wifi stuff because their app has really bad reviews, at least on android. They have some models with wifi that also have a physical controller which would be a safer bet if you wanted to try it

Back