My name is Bobby, I'm a reef addict......... Not sober

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I've been in the hobby a while now and haven't posted my tank here, here it goes. My main tank is a 120g standard dimension (total system volume ~230g), roughly 1300gph return flow with rfg nozzles, 2x MP40s, 3x tunze pumps, 3x ecotech radions, 2x reef brite strips (blue), and 4x T5 (I kinda feel like a reef nerd now). The main tank is on the main level of the house with all the filtration in the basement, I had to have a house with a basement for this reason. I use a 100g Rubbermaid as a sump. From the sump I have a 65g softie/anemone tank and a 40g frag tank. I use a reef octopus 225 internal skimmer and it's a beast, intake air comes from outside, the cup gets full once a week and it's dark brown nasty.

I started out with a free 14g nano a friend was getting rid of, when I moved I upgraded to a 65g (now in the basement) that I got from a guy I had met at a lfs, moved again and upgraded to a 90g, bought a house and upgraded to my 120g. This hobby has been progressively growing in my life. The 120 and 65 actually came from the same guy and were well taken care of.

For the past year my tank was absolutely packed with coral, I couldn't find places to put things without harming another coral. I began to really want to try sps but I was hesitant due to failure in the past. I bought a few pieces here and there and put them on frag racks, they lived so I bought more. I had started to not only keep the sps alive but actually make it grow which increased my desire. I had many nice color frags in my system but couldn't really display them with my lack of real estate so I set up my frag tank to keep them safe. I had been planning to convert my whole tank to sps dominant around the end of the year, I was anxious about it because I had to basically tear it all apart and start over but I really wanted to make this happen. I had mentioned my plan to a fellow reefer and he offered his time to come over and help, this eased my fear of failure a good bit. @jcook54 came over and we got our hands wet for sure, and got a lot done, I couldn't have done this successfully with out him. Over the following week I started moving my little sps babies to their new home and things started to look beget than I had imagined. Below are a few before and after photos, and pics of how I mounted my corals into predrilled holes. I'm sure I forgot to say some things about the tank that I wanted to say. Feel free to ask questions.

I need to find a way to make a huge frogspawn and 5 anemones look good in the 65.
20191120_215910.jpg20191117_205630.jpg20191126_112216.jpg20191126_114910.jpg20191120_212844.jpg20191126_223635.jpg20191127_165641.jpg20191201_223123.jpg20191128_151453.jpg

Always great to have a fellow reefer in the same neighborhood. Puts my tank to shame in terms of coloration and growth.
The glowing blue garage of yours let me know that I was moving to the right neighborhood. Your tank will be looking great in no time. Also, I would not still have all the color and healthy coral in my tank if you had not done me the huge favor of feeding and topping off while I was out of town a few times now. I'm forever grateful.

Absolutely awesome tanks to see in person! Can't wait to see the rehaul of the 120

My man definitely has a wet thumb. Funny story - So I go over to help out and he's mentioned a few time that he's drilling holes in his rock so he can mount frags. I show up, see the rock and the holes are WAY too small for frag plugs. Now I'm not going to say anything but he really did all that work for nothing, right? Well, come to find out, he's got this acrylic rod he's gluing plugs to and it looks really, really good. The best part is that the holes are so small that when there's nothing in them frag-wise they're not at all noticeable. I'm at the point where I'm going to stop trying to come up with good ideas and just copy what @bhodges82 does.

it will be great im sure. bobby has been wanting to redo for a while. And honestly im glad too. Cause now he can do what he wants to do not that its nearly gone. Fears over now Bobby get tooooo work bro

My man definitely has a wet thumb. Funny story - So I go over to help out and he's mentioned a few time that he's drilling holes in his rock so he can mount frags. I show up, see the rock and the holes are WAY too small for frag plugs. Now I'm not going to say anything but he really did all that work for nothing, right? Well, come to find out, he's got this acrylic rod he's gluing plugs to and it looks really, really good. The best part is that the holes are so small that when there's nothing in them frag-wise they're not at all noticeable. I'm at the point where I'm going to stop trying to come up with good ideas and just copy what @bhodges82 does.
Justin stop Bobbys head is swelling up now. lol

My name is Rick and I'm also a reefaholic...also not sober... sometimes I try to out drink my fish while working on the tank. Unfortunately they cleaned up when I stopped dosing vodka. Now they just look at me...watching...judging...they're the ones with the problem not me

Back