March 2019 ARC Special Meeting - LPS Coral Propagation, Free Frags, and Frag Swap

March 2019 ARC Special Meeting - LPS Coral Propagation, Free Frags, and Frag Swap
Posted by FutureInterest
Palisades Medical Building
Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 05:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ARC_Admin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So this special meeting will be the second on our series on coral propagation. We had well over a 100 people show up and 8 vendors setup tables for our January meeting which surpassed expectations and made it one of our most successful events in years! :) Everyone should've walked away with free pieces of nice zoas from my tank and other fine corals that were available from the vendors there! SeanD and Austin also donated as well so thank you guys! We hope they are all doing well in your tanks! For this next propagation meeting we will be focusing on LPS - Large Polyp Stony.

LPS covers a very wide range of different types of coral and as such there are many different propagation techniques that need to be applied depending on what LPS you are tackling. We've collected a few large colonies and will be demonstrating fragging techniques at the meeting once again. We've collected quite a few different colonies including some duncan, hammers, frogspawn, and cyphastreas. We will be giving out free frags of each colony out to all attendees. Priority will be given to supporting members, but everyone that attends will have some free frags to take home.

In addition, we will also be holding a frag swap at this meeting. So please bring any coral frags from your tank that you would like to sell/trade with others. We are also inviting some of our sponsors to attend and setup frag tables to share some of their amazing corals. Spike from spikecorals.com and Brandon from coralshoppe.com are also attending again with some fine coral frags. One change from last time is that the vendors will be in a separate room. I will once again be setting up a spare frag tank for any members to place corals in for display and sale/trade since most of you won't have portable tanks/lights available.

Admission is free for supporting members, $5 for non-supporting members. Supporting members can bring a +1 for free and any youngsters that you bring with you that are 12 and under also have free entry.

We will have coral shoppe, spike corals, heisenburg and a number of other hobby vendors attending!

The topic this time is LPS and we will have a short presentation and fragging demo done by coral shoppe. We will be giving away frags of aussie duncans, meteor shower cyphastrea, frogspawns, fathead dendro, and candy cane coral. You will walk away with something nice :).

Keep in mind that all of these corals are donations to the club from some of our amazing members. Please thank Justin Cooke (duncans/candy cane), Reno (duncans), camelia (dendro), and myself (frogspawn, hammers, cyphastrea).

If you have any frags you want to sell or share please bring them to the meeting. I no longer have a spare frag tank for the event but I can make room in mine if need be. If you take pics of the corals in your tank it'll help if you don't have a frag tank setup.

Finally, I also want to do a grow out contest based on one of the frags. I haven't decided which yet... but we will do it this time around and it'll be for a nice gift card to one of our awesome sponsors.

We hope to see you guys there! Please remember to bring a cooler or something insulated to take your frags home in!

Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 3:00 - 5:30 PM

Palisades Medical Building
3200 Downwood Cir Nw
Atlanta, GA 30327

From I-75 South-bound:
Take Exit #255, West Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway. Turn left off the exit ramp. You will pass under I-75. Turn right at the first light onto Northside Parkway. Go to the second light, and turn right on Howell Mill Road. Go up the hill, and turn left on the first street, Downwood Circle. Go straight on Downwood Circle into the parking deck (all the way down the road). The building will be on your left.

From I-75 North-bound:
Take Exit #255, West Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway. Turn right off the exit onto Northside Parkway. Take an immediate right onto Howell Mill Road. Go up the hill, and turn left on the first street, Downwood Circle. Go straight on Downwood Circle into the parking deck (all the way down the road). The building will be on your left.

And just the usual reminder - we are guests at this medical office complex, please absolutely NO SMOKING in or around the building

Last edited by a moderator:
@reefer90...No need to sign up. Just show up. You're counted in the estimated attendees by virtue of your last post. :)

A couple of years ago, my wife's coworker suggested that I attend a one of your meetings, so I'm wondering is this demonstration and frag swap open to the public with the $5 entry fee?

After 2 moves and a tank crash and 2 years - I'm dying to get back into the hobby! I have one colony that survived through it all - a handful of Ricordea.

I inherited a JBJ NanoCube 28G LED several years ago. With our first baby on the way, I wanted to create a reading nook where the 55g is. I started "cycling" the nanocube with the live rock and sand from the 55G, after seeing no spike in ammonia or nitrite after a few weeks, I moved everything over - Ricordea, the cleanup crew that was left, and a couple of insanely resilient fish. Setting up this new aquarium, I spent a lot of time on the rock scape, now I want to bring them to life with some new coral.

Does anyone have any experience with the JBJ NanoCube that might be in attending and can talk me through the ups and downs?

Yes open to all, $5 entry fee only applies to non-supporting members. Lookig forward to seeing you there.

Also please consider joining the ranks of supporting members, membership fees pay for these events and more. Value as a supporting member include many sponsor discounts, free raffle entries, end of year holiday party and more...

Yes open to all, $5 entry fee only applies to non-supporting members. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Also please consider joining the ranks of supporting members, membership fees pay for these events and more. Value as a supporting member include many sponsor discounts, free raffle entries, end of year holiday party and more...

I very likely will become a supporting member. The ARC dues are more than reasonable, and with the level of support and depth of knowledge the club offers it's a steal.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

How much money should I NOT bring to these events??

Back