ARC Frag Swap and Sale

ARC Frag Swap and Sale
Posted by Gabridge83
North Decatur Presbyterian Church
Saturday, April 29, 2023 - 02:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 29, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Great time, Arc does it right. Now just move it closer to 400!

Let's do it! We've had them in different locations since losing out the office complex we met at for years. The biggest hurdles to making different locations happen is time, water & money.

• Time - right now North Decatur Presbyterian Church is super easy to schedule and it's very cheap. In fact, it's free but for the donation we make when we use the space. Since I attend this Church scheduling is a simple phone call or email to check availability. Scheduling takes less than 5 minutes.
  • Water - there are a lot of places that don't allow water in. We found this out the hard way. Now when we're investigating a new place we make sure they understand that there will be fish tanks. We've got volunteers who can clean up and mop but a lot of times the water is a no-go.
  • Money - a few of the places we've investigated have been really expensive. We held a meeting last year at an American Legion post and the cost for the space itself was in the $900+ range if memory serves. And that location was on the cheaper side of things.
After a lot of conversation and research, it turns out that ARC is in an odd spot because we get a lot of folks coming through but not so many that we can justify a larger space. For example, we had 73 member's check in for yesterday's Swap. A lot of those folks came in small groups of 2 or 3 where a single person was the supporting member. Realistically, we had closer to 100 with the non-members and vendors. For some reason there are not a lot of spaces available for that many folks. It always seems to be too small or too big. We have an ARC member who has offered a space but the max head count is in the 70 people range. Throw a few vendors in the mix (reef tanks take up quite a bit of room) that 70 person space quickly becomes too small.

Sorry I'm rambling, what I really want to say is this - if you know of any space in the Metro area that we could meet, please let me know. In a perfect world we could do them at a few different locations through out the year so they would be "close" to everybody in ARC at least once.

First time for my wife and I at a Fragswap and loved it. Naturally went over budget and still left incredibly happy. Is there any chance we can get a list of the vendors? We foolishly forgot to get cards....

First time for my wife and I at a Fragswap and loved it. Naturally went over budget and still left incredibly happy. Is there any chance we can get a list of the vendors? We foolishly forgot to get cards....
The first post of this thread should have all the vendors who attended.

Went to the swap over the weekend. I'm just a few months in on a 25 gal tank so seeing all the amazing corals was awesome. I got a few zoas and a rainbow plate coral (I think that's the name). They look great and I'm super excited to grow an awesome tank. Although at this rate I doubt I'll be able to stop myself from getting a bigger one for long.

Can't wait until the next one and I look forward to learning more as I go along. And thanks to all the great vendors. I wish I could ha e bought something from everyone.

That event was so good that I now have zero space left. I cannot fit any more coral.

Back