Jawfish and Pistol Shrimp

Treylipp

Market
Reaction score
Super curious if anyone has ever tried or even had success with pairing any forms of jawfish with pistols, I want to buy a blue spot but there’s a lone pistol shrimp in my tank. Should I try it?

When I was a boy growing up in Florida, a friend of my Dad’s fished for Jewfish, also known as Goliath Grouper, from railroad bridges near Ft. Meyers. He used 1/8 inch steel cable, hooks made from 1/2 inch steel rebar, floats made from Clorox bottles, a whole fryer chicken as bait & a 4+ inch piece of bamboo for a pole. He waved the pole back & forth in a figure 8 pattern, then waited. The cable was bolted to the bumper of his El Camino which was used to pull the fish out of the water. They are now protected, due to over fishing. This is what I remember them looking like-

B77CB9A0-77D9-4B3D-AF78-0F71ECD96423.jpeg

Last edited:
Goliath grouper fishing has been strictly tightened down over the last few decades, they were really being over fished. I've heard that divers on wrecks in the southern Gulf and Atlantic have seen goliath's the size of moving vans.

Goliath grouper fishing has been strictly tightened down over the last few decades, they were really being over fished. I've heard that divers on wrecks in the southern Gulf and Atlantic have seen goliath's the size of moving vans.

8c7eca33154bcd3c9e7f2505174b0085.jpg

c52710a107e830d2bb2218a5cfeb9494.jpg

530cc8d458dc3f7e23bd6d075855847b.jpg

Never been lucky enough to have a Goliath, but had some monster fish for sure!

Back