Hitchhikers guide for reef tanks

what about these?

I turned on a powerhead this afternoon and these things just flew out of it...

there wasn't ANYTHING that big put in the tank (it was in a small Q tank)

the pictures aren't good, but they are all one color (not the varying color that the fire worms look to have on page 1)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Rbredding;399174 wrote: what about these?

I turned on a powerhead this afternoon and these things just flew out of it...

there wasn't ANYTHING that big put in the tank (it was in a small Q tank)

the pictures aren't good, but they are all one color (not the varying color that the fire worms look to have on page 1)

They look like a different species of bristle worms to me. Ther're actually good detritus eaters and are good to have on a clean-up crew. They can get quite big (I've seen some 6"+ long at an LFS). Some people swear to erradicate them but the population density will rise and fall with the amount of matter in the tank for them to eat. The chief complaint about them is that they have been known to sting the foot of anenomes and some softies and that's what gives them a bad rep. If you are concerned and want them gone anyway, buy an arrow crab (can only keep 1 or a mated pair). A lot of people say get a six line wrasse but an arrow is better IMO. A six line is a hit or miss and back before I knew they're benefits, my six line wouldn't touch them.

I know that bristle worms are good.. and I don't mind having them (i think that "a little bit of everything" is what helps to create a stable, healthy reef)

I just haven't seen them before i plugged the powerhead in.. and there's just NO place in this little tank to hide.. it's bare bottom and there is one piece of LR in it...

Are those Peanut worms ever seen in a distinctly pink color? I couldn't sleep well last night and I got up to turn the heat down because t was too hot. Of course on my way, I had to check on the new baby maroons... when I saw something very slimy and ugly, but of course it was very dark, so I grabbed the flashlight and looked at it in light...

It was crawling out of a hole (well at this point, back in because of the light), it was very pink and was not a fire or bristle worm, it had no legs etc. Just stubby, slimy, pink, moved like a worm, looked very worm like and I'd never seen one before... I've had little success this morning finding any similar pictures the peanut worm here is close, not quite right, but close... any ideas? It'd be near impossible to get a picture of this thing!

it isnt' spreading (it's been in the aquarium since august) and nothing seems to be eating it... (I've got 4 peppermint shrimp)
fieldset>

they are a lps coral that doesnt get much color. they ok but doesnt last very long in an aquirium

Rbredding;456709 wrote: it isnt' spreading (it's been in the aquarium since august) and nothing seems to be eating it... (I've got 4 peppermint shrimp)

I've seen something very similar to this. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but looks like an NPS coral from Aussie (very rare one). Let me see what I can find.

They are harmless and very hardy. They will color up nicely with regular feeding promise

Another one... some sort of tube worm or a baby Aiptasia?
457881=21884-Whatisit

Rbredding;457881 wrote: Another one... some sort of tube worm or a baby Aiptasia?

Hi! This is an awesome thread!

That actually looks like a majano. I have a ton of them that take on various shapes depending on how they feel, that's one of them. I've been battling with 30-40 of them for months since I learned they were bad. Started with one and let them go for a year because I thought they were cute. I go through with kalkwasser and hot water in an eyedropper for a few days every couple of weeks. I'm not sure if who is winning this battle. I may actually kill 1-3 in a spree.

Just got some live rock has some or those glass anemone on it, whats the easiest way to get ride of them

are there any harmful creatures (small, like flatworms or nudibranches) that have calcified exteriors..

I've pulled what looks (from the bottom) like an Asterina star..(has 5 points radiating from a center)..

from the top, it's odd shaped, like a flatworm, non symmetrical...
it could be an asterina that has lost it's limbs, but i've got several that appear to be the same approximate shape.

I'll post a "ID Please" thread in a little bit.. but I'm just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction first..

This is a great sticky. The worst for me was a mantis shrimp. It took so long to catch that guy. I gave him to a buddy and he still has him 5 years later.

Back