Help needed. Is this hair algae or Dino’s, or both?

+1 on @chaples55 post, except I'd try API AlgaeFix instead of Flux Rx. Fluconazole is great for Bryopsis which i don't believe you have. Flux RX is fluconazole. I don't believe it's effective for hair algae. I've used the highly overpiced Vibrant with great success, which we now know is the same as the much less costly API AlgaeFix.
I have read that fluconazole doesn't work on all types of hair algae, but it has always worked for the hair algae I've had if you give it the full 2 weeks. Bryopsis too of course. I'm actually treating a tank with it right now. I've had moderate success with Vibrant in the past too, but it took a lot longer and had to dose more than directed. I'm sure it really comes down to what specific species of algae you're dealing with though

Last edited:
Fluconazole did work very quickly on a tank I picked up that was overloaded with Bryopsis. My battle with new tank hair algae on my 180, using fluconazole and Vibrant, is documented in my thread starting on post #79. Fluconazole didn't work, and Vibrant did take a long time using prescribed doses.
Thread 'Steve's 180' https://atlantareefclub.org/threads/steves-180.1178474/

Edit: Admittedly, long time, but it was a lot worse than hair algae pictured here.

Last edited:
Fluconazole did work very quickly on a tank I picked up that was overloaded with Bryopsis. My battle with new tank hair algae on my 180, using fluconazole and Vibrant, is documented in my thread starting on post #79. Fluconazole didn't work, and Vibrant did take a long time using prescribed doses.
Thread 'Steve's 180' https://atlantareefclub.org/threads/steves-180.1178474/

Edit: Admittedly, long time, but it was a lot worse than hair algae pictured here.
It didn’t hurt the coral? Someone told me vibrant would kill coral.

It didn’t hurt the coral? Someone told me vibrant would kill coral.
I didn't have any negative effects when I used it either, even at a double dose. However, I did not have any sensitive corals like acros at that time

My tank has been totally overrun with hair algae as well. Been hammered at work and have let the tank run a bit wild. It got to the point where it was growing over frags and choking them out. Mine is only hair algae — none of the gooey stuff you’ve got going. My steps have been:

1. Using a pair of long stainless steel shears for a planted tank, trim the algae as short as possible. I can get it down to a 1/2” or less “lawn” this way.
2. Tuxedo urchin. He is a machine and clears things all the way down to pure white rock. Unfortunately, he’s a bit of a slow mover. I’m hoping he’ll reach a point where he’ll keep it contained to a few small patches. I can live with that.
3. I added an emerald crab as well. May need more but I’m trying to move slowly. I don’t want to overshoot and end up with starving inverts and a sterile tank. I’d rather have hair algae than dinos or similar. Early to say how he’s doing but the second he landed on a rock he started picking at it. Hopefully that’s a good sign.

Don’t know if any of this is helpful or not but the prognosis is looking good. I just have to be patient for a few weeks and observe the progress (or lack thereof).

Update:

I pulled my emerald crab out as he was eating one of my corals. He now resides in the HOB refugium where there’s a healthy dose of hair algae. I’m planning to get another one soon, along with some turbo snails. I did an almost 50% water change today (did a 25% water change less than a week ago). The plan is to do another 50% in a few days.

I’ve also started using “feed mode” on my wavemakers when feeding and am no longer using pellet food as I’ve heard it’s high in phosphates. I’m using all frozen brine shrimp.

Still haven’t decided if I should try vibrant or fluconazole, or if I should just keep throwing water changes at it.

Back