Refugium vs Protein Skimmer

Givmeanf

Supporting
Reaction score
I know nothing. I am in my fishless start-up cycle. I have a 20-gallon AIO aquarium.
I guess I have a choice of either using a protein skimmer or refugium.
I can purchase a protein skimmer from the tank manufacturer that is made to incorporated into the tank filtration and gets kind of hidden by the ATO tank. I have my name on one with my LFS when they come in.
But now I started looking at refugium's. They look simple enough to put together, and seem like a tank, light, sand, algae, copepods and amphipods. And a pump.
I am leaning towards the skimmer; it looks to be easier for someone that hasn't even purchased a coral yet!
But what do you think? I have nothing but time on my hands to fiddle with stuff so I can go either way. The refugium would be small, like 2-4 gallons only.

I'd say start with a skimmer. In the long run I like to use both though because they accomplish different things. I'll list some of the benefits of each.

Skimmer:
Gas exchange (oxygenation)
Remove organics BEFORE they break down
Slow down accumulation of NO3 & PO4

Refugium:
Consume CO2 (raises pH)
Consume existing NO3 & PO4
Increase microfauna (pods)

In a new tank that doesn't really have inorganic nutrients yet (NO3 & PO4), and that is actively cycling I would prioritize gas exchange and organic waste removal.

I'd say start with a skimmer. In the long run I like to use both though because they accomplish different things. I'll list some of the benefits of each.

Skimmer:
Gas exchange (oxygenation)
Remove organics BEFORE they break down
Slow down accumulation of NO3 & PO4

Refugium:
Consume CO2 (raises pH)
Consume existing NO3 & PO4
Increase microfauna (pods)

In a new tank that doesn't really have inorganic nutrients yet (NO3 & PO4), and that is actively cycling I would prioritize gas exchange and organic waste removal.
I agree both are needed more than other types. In my opinion

I agree both are needed more than other types. In my opinion
I purchased the skimmer. My AIO aquarium is a Nature Aquarium, I purchased the 'sized for the tank' skimmer they sell for their AIO aquariums; it sits in the back section. What a hassle! (It could just be me too!) It tends to overflow and the water level in the back section affects its operation.

Back