Having fun with a Hanna Alk Checker

AquariumSchmo

Market
Reaction score
I just got a Hanna Checker for alkalinity today. It's awesome! I'm sure many of you have one. If you don't, I highly recommend it. It is so much easier than other tests where you have to determine if the color actually changed. And I'm so glad I got it because I found out my alk is at 6.0. I checked it with a Salifert test kit (which I never use) and got the same level. Going to start dosing two part manually for a while and get a doser in March for my birthday. I started with 5ml and that bumped it up to 6.3.

I also tested a freshly mixed batch of LiveAquaria salt; got 8.9. I do water changes weekly, but I guess all the coral that I've added lately is soaking it all up.

I'm on the fence about purchasing the Hanna Checker for calcium though because of the cost of the reagent. It is $0.92 per test vs only $0.36 for alkalinity.

I need to check my parameters...I haven't checked my parameters in a long time. I need to check, I have all the stuff. My corals and fish seem to be super happy so I haven't felt the need to. Plus I do water changes every week, no real excuse to not check. I have a hanna checker I will use it just because of this post.

Are you still like the Hanna Alk tester? I've been testing and test for Alk and keep thinking there has to be a better way. There's a $.20 difference in the cost per test but if it saves time and is more accurate, it seems like it would be worth it. I don't mind the Salifert Alk kit but it's a time thing, especially when I'm doing 6 different tests. Is the Hanna tester quicker?

@jcook54 Absolutely love it, makes testing fun. And yes, it is very quick. If you buy one, I have a tip for you that will make it even faster. It comes with glass cuvettes with a 10ml line. At first I was dipping that in the water and pouring a little out at a time, trying to get it right at the line. To speed things up, I bought a pack of syringes which is much easier to measure with quickly, and just squirt the water into the cuvette. That keeps the cuvette clean and dry as well, which is import for accurate testing. In my opinion, it is completely worth the $.20 difference.

I use a 1 tsp. medicine dropper to fill the cuvettes. And yes it is very easy and very quick, and I believe very accurate. Definitely more accurate than my eyes and a color chart. And I'm not concerned with the cost of the test, it is such a minor expense when considering the whole cost of the hobby. I'm still checking alk weekly until I've run my dosers for a few months, but checking calcium once a month is plenty for all three of my systems.

The only thing the hanna kits lack is a syringe to fill the test tubes. But amazon has 10mL really cheap.

Like the Alk checker a LOT. Not as fond of the calcium checker. Trying to get the reagent powder from the little square packet into the round curvette without spilling it is a pain.
+1 on that
Alk checker is the best, easy to use

Calcium checker has burned me couple of times. I switched to Redsea for calcium check after several inaccurate readings. Redsea seems to be a bit more accurate for that

I also use Hanna for ultra low phosphate testing, definitely recommend that and alk ones...

And syringe does make testing go more smother

Like the Alk checker a LOT. Not as fond of the calcium checker. Trying to get the reagent powder from the little square packet into the round curvette without spilling it is a pain.

I have a problem with my left hand (very little feeling, very bad coordination) - what I've found works well for me..... cut it open on the dotted line. Crease one side of the packet down the middle. Makes it pretty easy. I do this prior to even starting the test that way it's set to go before I need it.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic next time I test - a visual may make it easier.

Back