Dream Tank w/ Fish Room Planning

Beautiful sump. I cant wait to see the rest of this build come together.
Thank you, it's definitely going to be a slow build. I'm hoping to just utilize this time away from home to collect pieces and plan the build. I'm going to try to paint the fish room and run electrical when I come home this time.

Let me know on the electrical, we can knock that out in a couple hours when you get home. You can paint, that isn't something I do lol. I buy Kelly the paint, any paint she wants, but she has to paint, I will tape everything, but for some reason I just can't stand painting haha.

Let me know on the electrical, we can knock that out in a couple hours when you get home. You can paint, that isn't something I do lol. I buy Kelly the paint, any paint she wants, but she has to paint, I will tape everything, but for some reason I just can't stand painting haha.
I sure will the electrical shouldn't be too bad, I already have 1 circuit pulled up to the attic from the pervious tank. I'm going to run 1 more though for a total of 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits. The only part that sucks is the wall where I have to drop the wire is back behind the trey ceilings between the pitch of the roof!!! I hate taping ad painting, I have no patience when it comes to that but I have to do it to save a few bucks!

I sure will the electrical shouldn't be too bad, I already have 1 circuit pulled up to the attic from the pervious tank. I'm going to run 1 more though for a total of 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits. The only part that sucks is the wall where I have to drop the wire is back behind the trey ceilings between the pitch of the roof!!! I hate taping ad painting, I have no patience when it comes to that but I have to do it to save a few bucks!
I would suggest you have 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits minimum, you are going to have a lot going on with heaters, lighting, controllers, I had 6 dedicated 20 amp in my fish room and felt like I was a couple short. you are stepping up to the big boy gallons with this new setup. let's take a look at it when you are back, lets pull enough now b/c after you will run into what I ran into with them pulling crap through the ceiling and it falling into the room, copper from the wires, etc.

Agree, always more circuits then you think you need. I now have 6 dedicated quad circuit outlets. Kept having to add them as I needed them- would have been cheaper if I had planned a little better… 🤣

That is a mistake we all make for sure, so much cheaper and easier for them to do it 1 time. I think if I had to do it over again, I would become an electrician or HVAC guy, as much money as I have given them over the years, wow they make great livings!

Tell me about it. Just replaced our upstairs hvac and duct system, small fortune…. And electricians, don’t even get me started…. Clearly I have provided sports cars/college tuitions/ exotic vacations for several companies over the years…. 😳

Hello everyone, I hope all is doing well.

So I'm home on leave for a couple of weeks, so I've been able to make some progress on the fish room. I painted the walls, put in the sump and stand, and was able to put my storage locker in there. I have an electrician coming to look at installing the additional circuits on Wednesday, I may do it depending on the price! I can be a bit lazy at times, so I always factor my time compared to money spent or saved especially when I only have a short amount of time.

After speaking with the boss and doing the measurements we will have to stick with a 72" tank. At this time I'm thinking of either a 72*32*26 - 260 gallons or 72*34*26 - 275 gallons.

20211101_164124.jpg20211101_164107.jpg20211101_111650.jpg

Have you talked yet with the Boss about upgrades that you were thinking of doing before the actual build...LOL!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣
She's happy right now, so I'm trying not to push my luck too fast! We finally got the playset that she's been wanting to get for the boys, for that price I pretty much said I'm getting my fish room!!! I've saved a bit already with the 2nd hand sump, painting the room myself, and probably doing the electrical myself so she's happy right now!🤣🤣🤣

We finally got the playset that she's been wanting to get for the boys, for that price I pretty much said I'm getting my fish room!!!
You are lying, you didn't say anything of the sort, I know her, she would knock you out lol, you know you said it more like this.. Baby, since we got the playset for the boys, would it be ok if I finished out the fish room, pretty please! You know it went exactly like this!

Last edited:

I hate to paint as well. Not as much as Sheetrock floating and sanding but close!
I created a large fish room in the basement and have 2 displays upstairs so ran 3 circuits. Still not enough so get a few extra if you have room in the box for them.

Hello everyone, I hope all is doing well.

So I'm home on leave for a couple of weeks, so I've been able to make some progress on the fish room. I painted the walls, put in the sump and stand, and was able to put my storage locker in there. I have an electrician coming to look at installing the additional circuits on Wednesday, I may do it depending on the price! I can be a bit lazy at times, so I always factor my time compared to money spent or saved especially when I only have a short amount of time.

After speaking with the boss and doing the measurements we will have to stick with a 72" tank. At this time I'm thinking of either a 72*32*26 - 260 gallons or 72*34*26 - 275 gallons.

View attachment 50152

This build is gonna be great and the fish room came out awesome!
Might want to rethink that cabinet location. Will want access to all of the sump if you can.

Good luck, looking forward to watching the progress.

You are lying, you didn't say anything of the sort, I know her, she would knock you out lol, you know you said it more like this.. Baby, since we got the playset for the boys, would it be ok if I finished out the fish room, pretty please! You know it went exactly like this!
Not at all sir, I didn't have to worry the price of that thing!🤣 plus that's why I painted, so she couldn't say much!😉🤣🤣

I hate to paint as well. Not as much as Sheetrock floating and sanding but close!
I created a large fish room in the basement and have 2 displays upstairs so ran 3 circuits. Still not enough so get a few extra if you have room in the box for them.

This build is gonna be great and the fish room came out awesome!
Might want to rethink that cabinet location. Will want access to all of the sump if you can.

Good luck, looking forward to watching the progress.
I wasn't even going to try to float and mud, I told the contractor just have it ready for paint please! I really don't have room in the box, but I could just install some more 1/2" breakers if we need to.

I'm hoping so, and thank you we're trying to do it right. I'll keep it in mind, it's getting small already! I've already informed the boys that the water tanks will be in the garage area. I can access the socks pretty easily though.

Thanks again, it'll be on hold for a while after this. I may end up doing the electrical or having it done before I leave. After that I just have to start ordering items, that's always fun at least!

So I'll be making a couple of different post to show the status of the build thus far. So the tank and stand has finally been delivered and set up in the house. I ordered it from Crystal Dynamics back in July, during their 4th of July sale. All I can say is she is a beauty they did a really great job. I totally underestimated the size, but it fits the room perfectly. I picked the tank and stand up from the shipper on the 21st, after flying for 11 hours to get home. Once I got it to the house, my wife helped me move the stand in so I could get it leveled. We had already scheduled movers to come over and move the tank into place on the 22nd. They did a really good job of getting it in, I'm glad I just payed to have it done! Here are a few pictures of the new baby!

72*30*24 = 225 gallons

20221221_201405.jpg20221221_183647.jpg20221222_091249.jpg20221222_111544.jpg20221222_091253.jpg20221221_201359.jpg

nice wow wow wee wow GIF

Today my good buddy @scottw came over and helped me work on the fish room. He is a life saver, as it is really starting to look like a fish room. He helped me build table tops for the frag tanks, I plan to run 2 80 gallon seaport refs ready frag tanks. We then did a L off of that, to accommodate some working surface. We built a platform underneath to be able to place the sump and some storage on and sit right under the frag tanks. With his suggestions we took a ride to lowes and picked up some shelving so I would be able to maximize the room while staying organized. We will still have to go back and add some support brackets under the frag tank table in the back. As you can see in the pictures, I already have a lot of the equipment on hand already. I still have to get lights, apex, skimmer, and a lid. I'm going to start working on the aqua scape next, hopefully I can get that done before I leave again in a few weeks. I'm starting to really get excited as I see it come together, this should be a pretty sweet build. 20221223_181426.jpgIMG951463.jpgIMG951466.jpgIMG951467.jpgIMG951468.jpgIMG951469.jpgIMG951472.jpgIMG951473.jpgIMG951474.jpgIMG951475.jpg

Back