Diamond coated drill bit

Sorry if it's too late, but I just went through this myself. Had to drill two 35mm and two 60mm holes in my display tank. I was nervous as hell and took my time. I tried practicing on some thin glass I had, but that didn't go well. I definitely recommend finding your local glass/mirror shop, and begging them for some thick glass scraps to try on. Mine gave me a nice, big piece of 1/4" plate, and that really made a difference!

As for the bits (saws), I tried several from Amazon, and they were not created equal. The best by far were the Drillax brand. They are a little more expensive than the cheapest ones on Amazon, but the cost delta is completely worth it (in my limited experience). If they have the size you need then I'd definitely recommend Drillax.

Go slow and good luck!!

--Ron

Call a local glass shop and ask them what bit they would use to do it and get that one. They are not all built the same, some make cleaner holes than others.

Well guys, I learned the hard way their not all made equally! To their defense it was my first attempt at it, so I learned a couple tips for if I ever do it again. Luckily it was only a small ato and not a tank! Sho i had to scrap that idea, but have an ats that should be here in a couple of weeks it's ot off stock right now. Im going with the new ice cap medium.

That's too bad!! It's definitely something that gets better with practice, though, and there's something to be said for having had the experience!

What size is your tank? I just put in a 48 gallon DT with about 30 gallons in the sump. My 5 gallon ATO is emptying every 3-4 days at this point, so definitely go as big as will fit in your space!!

--Ron

Mine is 200 gallon total, I was planning to turn that little ato into my refugium. I actually have my ato pump plumbed directly to my storage tank in the garage, with a few redundancies.

Lol - ok!! I think I just forgot the beginning thread and why you were drilling in the first place?

Sorry for telling you what you already knew!!!

Lol - ok!! I think I just forgot the beginning thread and why you were drilling in the first place?

Sorry for telling you what you already knew!!!
No need to ever apologize, I always appreciate any help and feedback that is offered! Trust me there is plenty of time I offer help or advice, only to go back and so oh I missed that or forgot!!! Thank you though.

it looks like a standard 10g would work, the one I just measured is 20 1/8" L x 10 3/8" W x 12 1/2" H. I think the dollar per gallon sale is still going on at petco.

Actually it would be a good idea to bring a tape measure with you. I just checked the 3 10g's I have in my garage and one of them measured at 19 7/8" Although it would probably work just fine.

Ill let you in on a small secret, I never claimed to be the smartest man! I forgot I had a 10 gallon in the garage, it won't work because of the height and the trim around the base of the tank. But I may check with Tony see how much it would be to try to do something basic. I definitely don't need the works of arts he's been doing! Thank you for the idea though.

If anything the replacement tank is only $35 IF you want to try and drill again lol

If anything the replacement tank is only $35 IF you want to try and drill again lol
Once again what I said about being smart, I had that one and another site pulled up but they had it for $80! I may go that route and have someone help drill it this time. I still need to make it over your way!;)

I'm going to guess you were too close to the edge of the glass - unless the glass was tempered.

If you make it to Acworth I'd be happy to help you drill a tank - I only have bits for 1" & 3/4" bulkheads though.

I'm going to guess you were too close to the edge of the glass - unless the glass was tempered.

If you make it to Acworth I'd be happy to help you drill a tank - I only have bits for 1" & 3/4" bulkheads though.
Your correct, I was a bit too close!

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. Thats a good little drive for me. I appreciate the offer, and may have to take you up on it. Thanks

Back