Question On Specific BIO Media and Amazon Comment from Seller..

bdunn13

Reaction score
Amazon Link

I have that. It clearly (to me now) says NOT FOR SALTWATER. However, I am using it anyways. I am 3+weeks into my cycle with Ammonia at 0 and nitrites being lazy as crap and dragging along around .25 to .5 after two big water changes. I know nitrites take longer and I am almost 28 days into my cycle and getting impatient (I know nitrites aren't important in marine but I am trying to be patient and wait... and I know nothing good happens fast in this hobby.)

The comments from the seller about why not to use this in marine make no sense. He mentions they would made the nitrates go up (which is the point and the goal really). The nitrogen cycle is the same in fresh and salt right?

"

What makes this product refresh water only ?

Answer:
Our ceramic filter block carries both nitrifying bacteria on the surface and denitrifying bacteria inside.
1. Nitrifying bacteria – These bacteria eat ammonia and nitrites. They require oxygen in the water to live. Nitrifying bacteria live on the surface of objects in your aquarium. 2. Denitrifying bacteria – These bacteria eat nitrates. They will only survive if no oxygen is present. Denitrifying bacteria live inside rock, ceramic and other porous materials where no air is present.
1. Fish poops and other waste turn into ammonia, while nitrifying bacteria turns ammonia into Nitrite(NO2)- then into Nitrate (NO3)-. Two main harmful substances ammonia and nitrite can be consumed by nitrifying bacteria and generate non-toxic nitric acid which is the best nitrogen fertilizer for algae, which can be absorbed and assimilated by algae. It will kill coral. see less
By usmagob SELLER on December 4, 2019
"

and

Will these work for both freshwater and saltwater?
Answer:
It can only work for freshwater aquarium. Put it into saltwater aquarium will increase the level of nitrite. So, we do not suggest to use it in saltwater. Thanks.

There I think he is confusing nitrites and nitrates..

My question really is - is it me or does the comment from the seller make no scientific sense?

Thanks,
Brad

PS - I am not new to this hobby I just am coming back after a 10 year break. A lot has changed in 10 years!

Yes, the nitrogen cycle isn’t dependent upon salinity. If anything, it just affects the species of nitrifying bacteria present, but the steps in the process are the same. And the bacteria are functionally the same.

That said, even if his response is full of holes, it may be composed of other materials that are harmful to corals.

Hi Brad,

Welcome back! The issue with a lot of ceramic is that many are known to leach compounds into saltwater. In particular, aluminum seems to be most common component that comes back at very high levels on ICP tests when using a lot of ceramics in the tanks. We're not entirely sure what level of aluminum becomes toxic for corals... but fish can stand a fairly high amount of it in the water column. I personally tend to shy away from these and use porous rock rubble. As for their claims on nitrites I do agree they seem to be a lil confused on that... :)

I would be more concerned about the manufacturing process and what kind of metals it leaches.

I have 3 of the marine pure blocks in my system and recently did an ICP test and I do have elevated aluminium but not to a harmful extent, probably because I always run GFO and it constantly absorbs it. ICP test attached.

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks guys.. I am near day 30 on my fishless cycle.. Thinking I might take out the ceramics. I have around 100lb of dry rock in there now. Total water volume around 140 or so.
I know nitrites don't really matter anymore.. but I am waiting for them to drop. However, I am getting pretty impatient... lots of work for no reward and just waiting SUCKS!

Ammonia has been 0 for over 2 weeks..

Back