Venting fish room? Air exchange?

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
I currently have 3 tanks in my office 4x2, 5x2 and 2x2 plus the sump - that seems like a lot of open surface area.
We have stand alone dehumidifiers in the house and ones built into the HVAC system but...I want to build in some sort of air exchange system? into the room.
I don't know if I am using the right words.

I need something quiet and don't really want to run a bathroom exhaust fan. Anyone have experience with something like this?

A continuous duty rated fan such as that one will bring in outside air, if ducted to do so?

The question is, do you care if it is cold in winter or hot in summer? If so, then you may want to also look into in-line enthalpy heat exchangers. As I recall, Adam installed one in his basement. So you might ask him?

Here -

I don't know how you would do this in finished space. Possible to do under the office from unfinished space. The only other option if your on a slab is in the attic.

If the attic is the only option you will need to have access to clean the filters in the unit. These are the smallest of the options similar to what I did. Being it's your office I'd lean towards the ERV over the HRV.

There are other brands to look at too.

+1 on the HRV. Not sure about ERV since I don't believe it removes humidity, especially in the winter when you need it most since your AC is off.

I too am curious about whether ERV or HRV is better for a fish room in Georgia. In Atlanta, humidity is the most frustrating thing about having a large reef tank for me.

I have an air exchanger in my sump room…well it is not installed at the moment but will be reinstalled soon. I actually wish I had bought two larger but variable flow duct boosters with one on each end of the room, using a 4 or 6 inch dryer vent on each end to intake/exhaust.

I'm really considering running both. I think I can buy another core for mine that is the type used for ERV and use it in the summer, then in the fall put in the HRV core.
Going that route would give me the best of both worlds.

Dear lord I can't believe that it has been almost a year since the original post.

My lovingly beautiful wife has been dropping some not so subtle hints about her personal feelings about my fishroom/office :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So finally after some research I've just ordered the Panasonic FV-04VE1 WhisperComfort ERV mainly due to installation/accessibility issues.

Fingers crossed...and good luck to the rest of you gentlemen out there trying to be reefers and keeping a happy household 😘

Thats the ERV unit placement.
I still have to build a box, run the vents and run the electricity :rolleyes:
Since this was last brought up I have bought an ERV core for my air exchanger because I couldn't use the HRV core during the summer as it was just pumping humid ass air into the basement. I am back to the HRV now and will swap the ERV in this spring.

I have also added a second heavy duty dehumidifier, which adds a considerable amount of heat to the basement. My latest plan is to put in a ductless Mini Split system into the fishroom which has a dehumidify setting. This will allow me to remove one or possibly both dehumidifiers. Seeing as you've already cut a hole in the ceiling you may be past the point of no return. But a Mini Split maybe the best option for you.

You guys are going all out with energy recovery. Im just gonna use a small fart fan on a temp/humidistat and dump it outside.

Kids and dog leave the doors open so much its not like Im being energy efficient around here.

Hey Tim i dont think theres alot you can do there. Everything is so open. With what you have running now is your best option. If you tank was in 1 room it would be a simple task

You guys are going all out with energy recovery. Im just gonna use a small fart fan on a temp/humidistat and dump it outside.

Kids and dog leave the doors open so much its not like Im being energy efficient around here.
I agree. I feel like I should do something but my wife still puts on a humidifier at night.

Last edited:
I agree. I feel like I should do something but my wife still puts on a humidifier.
That’s a great start for sure. I’ll be ordering an erv for my fish room or potentially a minisplit haven’t decided yet. For now the fan and dual dehumidifiers are “ok” but I want more for sure.

I hate electrical work…I have a phantom switch that doesn’t seem to be powering anything and I’m debating whether or not to cut the wire and use it on the erv. With my poop luck I’ll probably kill power to half the house lol 😂

Who’s got my back if I f this up

C5D0AB24-6E2B-4A57-9B84-7BF63D7A97ED.jpeg

Back