Dan's 210 Build

Time for a new sump room! Here are the first clean pics after cleaning the walls to prep for paint. There is one pic showing the reason, my sump is on the other side of the tarp. I’m going to return the paint I picked out to go with something with less color, likely the lightest grey I can get.

If only I can convince the boss that I need to cut the floor trench drain in and grind the floor now before painting....

FC57115B-1934-416E-9EC3-9BCD02C08BFD.jpegFC57115B-1934-416E-9EC3-9BCD02C08BFD.jpeg46396125-C7A3-4DAC-BCE8-E49EE0DE7456.jpegEF8341AA-75C4-4D41-A797-B4EB0A87877C.jpeg

Wow you’ve done a lot of work there Dan! Where did all of those tanks go?

Wow you’ve done a lot of work there Dan! Where did all of those tanks go?

The tanks were taken down over the past few months. I took the Cheeto fuge offline a while back and all the coral from my frag tank is in my DT atm. I would post it for sale but I am one of those Covid Phobic people:)

@saltwaterwannabe did you have a leak? Looks like the wood is damp.
I was careless with my maintenance, splashing water everywhere. I also let a lot of salt spray escape. The concrete floors are fine, I never thought it would damage the walls that much though. I also did not leave a gap or protection where the Sheetrock meets the floor. The largest issue was water wicking up into the Sheetrock. Hiding the floor down periodically to clean up the salt spray and spills did not help either. New sump area will be bullet proof:)

As many of you saw and offered to help, one of my overflows cracked and was leaking heavily. I got it under control by removing one of the overflows and replacing it with two plugged bulkheads.

I am leaning towards adding a recirculating pipe where the other overflow was located. The one overflow remaining is actually handling all of the flow from my sump in the basement without issue.

All of my circulation in the tank is from a Barracuda pump in the basement with three Seaswirls in the DT on the first floor.

I am thinking that my Vectra m2 pump would serve well as a recirculating pump for my 210 and would be very easy to install under the tank. I would add a couple of 90’s and screen where the cracked overflow was. I would then get a much lower flow high head pump to replace the Barracuda pump at my basement sump. Maybe 800 ph or so.

I think this would result in much less energy consumption overall and work just as well as my current setup. Any or points to consider with this?

Below is a picture showing it to both kids at the top left where one of the overflows used to be.
4FC5C336-6E29-45A6-A8C2-CEC58F7FB222.jpeg

As always, spell check is AMAZING. Admittedly, I am all thumbs and cannot type on my phone well.

If you did not figure it out by now, the picture is not of my two kids but of two bulkheads near the top left with white plugs for the moment. thanks!

Added more fish to the qt last Friday. I think I have plenty of fish now...maybe too many. I am aiming for a 2 month qt, maybe longer if I lose anyone else. So far all fish are eating and looking great with plenty of color...other than 3 I lost likely to a bully I found out. Not too bad I guess considering I have around 30 fish now in 4 QT systems.

Here is a pic of the tank today. View attachment 186I still need to aquascape, install 3 radeons, and paint the doors. Otherwise it has been running since the end of August attached to my main system.

I plumbed and lit the 240 watt UV in a couple weekends ago - that thing is a beast and should help greatly if I ever have an outbreak again. I can run high flow with no bypass at ich killing strength.

I moved the 12 inch sailfin and parrotfish to the DT while the others are in QT. I will relocate or sell these two before stocking the DT with fish. I will post pics in the for sale or trade forum after I install lights.

I actually spent a little time on the 240 coral holding tank this weekend and the coral is looking great.
I still need to setup the frag station to cut up some of my existing coral and move the rest of the rock upstairs to start aquascaping.

Plan is to cover the back wall at the right overflow then make a right handed helix starting downward to the left that runs lengthwise in the tank ending in a half height wall at the left side - making the best view from the front door/dining room end (right) and front.

I need to replace one union seal that drips when I crank the flow up. Otherwise it is dead silent when cranked up. I am so close I can just about see it now.....
Sweet

Replumbing the return and supply for the new basement sump location. Should the check valve go before or after gate valves, or does it matter?

Just trying to eliminate the check valve bouncing. I am not sure if it matters either way, but am wondering if there is a preferred location.

Back