Cuprimine and uv sterilizers

ripped tide

Market
Reaction score
The directions on the bottle state that it is required to turn off a UV sterilizer while this product is in use. I was wondering if you could give me some of the technical/chemical back ground about why this is necessary. Thanks

Thank you for your question, Ripped Tide. We hope to be able to address this for you. Cupramine is a very effective copper medication, as it kills parasites, but is still very safe for fish. Cupramine contains an organic complex which leaves the cupric charge (Cu2+) fully active. This amine complex inhibits copper absorption by fish, but does not interfere with its action against parasites.

When utilizing UV while treating with copper, the UV can actually reduce the 2+ charge to 1+, which is extremely toxic to fish. This is why we recommend turning off UV when employing Cupramine in the system. We hope that this information was helpful, Ripped Tide. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you, at what point is it safe to turn a UV back on? Would it be a matter of a few weeks and the copper should eventually precipitate out, or should it be removed by carbon or cuprasorb before continuing use of the uv?

You're welcome. You should remove Cupramine completely via water changes and/or chemical filtration before turning the UV back on. When you get a zero reading for copper on your test kit, it is then safe to resume use of UV.

Typically, skimmers will not remove the Cupramine, however, I guess it depends on the type of skimmer you have. If you notice that you are getting more skimate than normal, than I would turn it off during the treatment period. If not, I would not worry about it.

Thanks for the explanations and the quick responses! One more question, I have heard a rumor that Cupramine contains formaldehyde. Is this true? (I will continue to use it either way, I was just curious.)

That is a very interesting rumor and I am glad that you mentioned it so we can clear it up. Cupramine does not contain any formaldehyde. In fact, combining formaldehyde with Cupramine, or any other copper based medication, can be very dangerous to the fish and should never be attempted.

Back