Chapter 3: 150g SCA Tank

A short section of silicone tube between the pump and return plumbing can be a big help if you find the pipe or sump vibrating because of the pump.

Last edited:
I like the scape, has height and hideaways. I would think fish and coral will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ixs it filled yet???
jack griffo nick GIF by Nickelodeon

Well, the sand was scheduled for delivery today but then got pushed back to tomorrow...

Well that explains the confusion - 4 of the 6 bags were delivered today.
But this is live sand apparently.

I assume live sand needs to go into saltwater? Currently the tank is just being filled with fresh water.
Should I wait until the tank is full and mixed before adding the live sand?

I don't have a water mixing station.

I assume live sand needs to go into saltwater? Currently the tank is just being filled with fresh water.

Ooof. You’re going to want to invest in a mixing station.

I would suggest rinsing the sand with regular faucet water in a 5 gallon bucket until the water runs clear. You are going to wash away all the “live bacteria” but I would say adding bottled bacteria is better than introducing all that crude that comes with the live sand. You will see what I am talking about when/if you rinse the first bag. I recently bought 3 bags because of the sale and cleaned it as described prior to adding it to my tank and all the sand/cloud was settled in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rinsed the sand and I’m glad I did but the water is still murky. I found a piece of wood in one of the bags…

Anyhow I have 2 more bags coming which would be 120lbs in a 150gal tank. I’m not sure because I can’t see but that may be a little light. The problem is if I order 3 more bags (buy 2 get 1 free) it may be too much…although can you really have too much sand? Lol

03B70D73-DD07-44E4-9E73-FD325D257B67.jpegAB232613-FC1B-4581-ABAF-E1BBCC98BA1B.jpeg

Did you guys add the bio magnet clarifier into your tank with the sand? My initial impression would be not to and just let it clear itself

Back